The Concubine

It was the season of Summer, the sun was supposed to be at its peak glaring below, the sky should be blue, children should be running around, the farmers should be planting the seeds of their crops, Cows should be grazing the grass fields... Yet there was no sun, just the gloomy sky. Dae knows that any moment now, the rain would pour. It was as if the Gods mourns with her.

No one died that day, but her, and what pains her the most is that... She cannot leave the mortal realm, not when her heart is still beating and she's still breathing, but for a moment she felt like her own soul left her body making her feel cold and small inside the fancy carriage. Outside she could see her father's army marching towards the green Fields where they would meet the king of Solivira. the Man who rules half of the Gaia.

Her father wanted a peace treaty with the king, as he grew tired of countless war being fought over his claim of the land In the west. Dae bits her lower lips and looked in front of her where she could see her father sitting.

"I don't want this." She finally spoke to him after days of silence. Dae never grew close to her father, in fact he was never present in her life, he never acted like a father to her except when he wanted something.

"No one wants this." Her father grimly replied, he had his eyes closed while one hand pressed against his temple.

"I want to go back to the tower." She told him, her father finally opened his eyes to look at her. His cold blue eyes bore against her emerald one.

"Isn't this what you want? To be out of that tower? You told me so many times when you were young, that you wish to leave the premises of the castle and explore the land just like your savage of a mother." His harsh word made her flinch. It was true, she did wish to leave that tower but not at the cost of her hand. Dae grew up in the tower in a secluded forest away from her father's castle and away from the eyes of his people. She was raised from there by different maids, her father locked her up there because of the fact that she was a bastard, she was born from a Sakran mother.

Her father's people were called Lysian, they are born with dark brown hair and fair skin and blue eyes, her mother on the other hand is a Sakran. Sakrans are a group of nomadic people that roams freely in every land, they were people born with dark complexion and red hairs, there people are known for the color of their eyes which are vibrant green or deep emerald colors and they were also known as wielder of dark magic, but they're kind were looked down because of their looks they were chastised, they were called seeds of devils and witches who plague the land and causes for the crops to die during mid summers. They were considered a taboo, and was often hunt by the royal families for sport.

Dae was born different from everyone else, she has a darker complexion that separated her from her father's people, her eyes too is different, but compared to her mother's people she is light skinned... She never quite blend with the others.

"I changed my mind." She whispered as she fiddled with her thumb, she nervously bit her bottom lip, afraid of what her father might do.

"You don't get to change your mind. I raised you, I fed you, I gave a roof over your head. I kept you warm. I gave you things your mother could never give you, this is all I ask of you... So be a good child and do what you must do." Dae swallowed the thick lump in her throat and nods her head, she didn't dare argue with her father anymore. It would only end up with him hurting her.

A sudden flash of light followed by a loud clapping sound and rumbling made her flinch. She looks outside once again just to see the rain pour. It was heavy, and a bad omen.

Rain in mid summers are considered bad luck for everyone, it is a sign of a year full of misfortune. Crops would not grow, there would be plague or war. Families would meet tragedies and many lives would end, that's what she been told by the maids who took care of her. Dae remained quiet and started to bite her lip, pulling at the dead skin making it bleed, she was left on her own thought.