Revised Chapter One

THE SUN WAS WARM on your face as you laid in the clearing, the skylight bathing you in fresh light. Your phone sat in one of your hands, a group call with the two friends you had made in the park on speaker, and Foxtrot curled beside you. His rhythmic breathing was nearly enough to lull you to sleep--if it hadn't been for Rift and Liam's droning.

"Are you even awake?" Rift scolded, her high-pitched voice a jarring noise. You flinched, stirring the velociraptor awake as he huffed and moved away in search of his previous meal.

"Yeah," you sighed, sitting up.

You watched the animal move away, recognizing just how large he had become. It had nearly been a year since you had had your incident with Hoskins and met Foxtrot. That little baby had become nearly six foot in that span of time, easily dwarfing Owen's raptors.

His aggression levels were much higher, however. At one stage, he had become very rebellious and hyper aggressive, even towards you. Your body suffered many scars from those days, others from accidents or rough play.

He had settled down as his hormone levels balanced out, becoming a beast you could trust your life with. But your friends were sure to repeatedly remind you that he was still an animal--a predator at that.

"Are you guys doing anything today?" you asked, breaking their conversation.

"Nope!" Liam was the first to answer, his voice startlingly enthusiastic. "Did you wanna do something?"

"I'm free too, it's mah day off today," Rift added with a small chuckle.

You smiled, "You guys wanna go get some food, maybe visit some of the attractions?"

"Again?" Rift sighed. "We've done that thousands of times now!"

It was true. You lived on the island due to Owen's employment, as he was your only legal guardian and you refused to stay home alone for an indefinite amount of time. Rift was a few years older than you and Liam, and was actually employed at Jurassic World. She mainly worked at the petting zoo, with the baby herbivores. But that meant she had a residence on the island as well.

Liam, however, came from a very wealthy family that was in league with Masrani. Both him and his little sister, Lizzy, were models for ads and reviews on the park. This meant that his father put in the effort to build a "home away from home" on the island for long-term photoshoots and business meetings. Liam preferred remaining on the island anyway.

You think you all preferred the island. It didn't seem like any of you had had very many relationships or enjoyment before meeting each other.

You smiled to yourself. Those two had helped you learn how to love life once more, as well as offering the kind of bond you could have only wished to have with your big brother. Instead, you hardly even see him anymore.

You had been given a permanent hotel room, since his bungalow only held one bedroom. You enjoyed the privacy anyway, and the private jacuzzi helped.