Chapter Two : The Boys

AT LEAST FIVE months have passed. You've been busy helping Claire and secretly meeting up with Hoskins to train Foxtrot. You rarely see Owen anymore, except at night. Right before you go to bed at the hotel, he'd come visit you for about half an hour before returning to his bungalow.

You've also made a new friend; her name was Rift. She's in charge of training the herbivores, especially the young ones in the petting zoo. She was only a few years older than you; being nineteen while you're sixteen.

You threw on one of your favorite outfits and styled your hair quickly. You were estatic to visit Foxtrot today as he was growing swiftly. His head was already just above your shoulder and Hoskins had declared it was about time he began to learn obedience.

You grabbed your binoculars and phone, which had loads of pictures of you and Foxtrot, and rushed out of the hotel.

You hurried to meet the plump man near the jeep where you two would usually meet. He grinned and you both exchanged greetings before climbing into the vehicle and driving to the secure location of the Velociraptor Paddock.

Once you arrived, you grabbed a straw hat and pulled it over your eyes for fear of Owen finding out about you and Foxtrot. You and Hoskins hurried to the door behind the paddock and entered.

Instantly, you threw the hat onto one of the white counters and made your way to Foxtrot's special room.

You entered to see the striped Velociraptor sniffing an artificial tree that had been placed in his room.

At your arrival, his head turned and his slitted pupils found you. He gave a chirp of recognition and came to greet you with a few low, rumbling clicks.

You laughed and reached out your hand. He pressed his snout into your palm with a purring sound.

"Savor it, Miss Grady, for it won't be too much longer until he starts showing dominance." Hoskins warned, shoving his hands into his pants' pockets.

"Is that why we need to start obedience training?" You asked as you got onto all fours to play with Foxtrot. The said male carefully clambered onto your back and just sat there, chin resting on the top of your head.

"Yes, or else he'll try to control you or kill you," the plump man responded with a nod.

Even though you knew he was right, you couldn't believe that Foxtrot would ever even think of purposefully injuring you.

"Okay," you glanced toward Hoskins, "So what do we start with?"

× × ×

Hours passed and you found Foxtrot to be a quick learner. One of the researchers who observed quietly even commented about the Velociraptor's intelligence.

It only made you prouder of the juvenile dinosaur. It'd take several tries, but with a clicker and a few whistles, you'd get him to move or reply.

But it was time for you to go.

You leaned down to give his forehead a gentle kiss and he chirped in return, resting his chin on your arm. You sighed.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Foxy. Bye bud," you waved goodbye and left the Velociraptor Paddock behind in a jeep.

Your phone buzzed in your pocket and you retrieved it quickly. It was Claire.

Claire : Zach and Gray will be here in a few minutes! Find Zara if you're planning on hanging out with them

You : Ok thanks for reminding me! Where can I find her?

Claire : Actually, just come to the Visitor's Center; she's bringing the boys there first to see me

You : Alrighty. See you soon

The jeep rolled to a stop and you hopped out, thanking the driver before pushing through the sea of new people and toward the giant building.

It took you a few minutes, but you made it. You entered through the huge doors to see Claire hugging a younger boy with curly hair while she spoke to a boy about your age.

Zara was behind them, seemingly in her own world, as usual.

You approached and Claire instantly put her arm around your shoulders.

"Oh! (Y/n), meet Zach," she gestured to the boy your age, "and Gray," she smiled at the younger boy. "Boys, this is (Y/n) Grady. She'll be accompanying you today."

"It's nice to meet you, (Y/n)!" Gray smiled politely, shaking your hand.

"The pleasure's all mine, Gray," you replied before sticking out your hand to shake Zach's. "And you as well."

Zach shook your hand with a strange look on his face, as though he hadn't expected you to include him.

"Yeah -- yeah. Nice meeting you," he gave you a smile.

Suddenly, one of Claire's alarms went off and her phone began buzzing. She started walking away.

"Oh! I've got to take this. I'll see you at six when I -- "

"Don't forget you have a meeting -- " Zara added.

"Oh, right! Uh, I'll see you boys at eight. Ehm, do you two have a bedtime? Or do you go to bed at different times..?" Claire paused to glanced between the brothers.

Zach and Gray seemed to only share a glance.

"Okay, I really have to go," Claire said before they could reply, "I love you three!" And then she was gone.

"I don't understand how she can work non-stop," you commented with a sigh, crossing your arms.

"She's like this every day?" Zach questioned with wide eyes.

"Yup," you poppes the 'p' as you turned to Zara. "Where to first?"

"Wherever you want," she replied, her eyes glued to her phone's screen.

"Okay," then you turned to Zach and Gray, "where do you two want to go?"

"Do you know what attractions they have? All I know of is the petting zoo!" Gray asked you excitedly.

"Of course! I've been here for over a month. But let's see, we've got the T-rex Kingdom, the Mosasaur feeding show, the petting zoo, and my personal favorite; the Gyrospheres!" You listed with a grin.

"Ooh, can we go see the T-rex??" Gray was literally bouncing with excitement, his curly hair jumping around his head like a dirty blonde halo.

"Well, her feeding show is in thirty minutes. Why don't we go to the petting zoo first, then make our way over there?" You suggested, "Besides, the feeding show may be a little.. disturbing for kids your age."

"Nah, Gray's obsessed with anything dinosaur-related. Even the shit," Zach patted Gray's head, giving you a small smile.

"You shouldn't say shit!" Gray frowned, brushing away his brother's hand.

"Neither should you, Gray!" You shook your head with a laugh.