29 Where I want to be

Damian POV

As I watched Blair hold our baby, my heart swelled with love for my two girls. If someone had told me a little over a year ago how much my life would change and that I would be here today with a wife and a newborn, I would have bet that was impossible.

But I had never been so glad to be wrong. Right now I couldn't wait to bring baby Evie and her Mami home and fully enjoy life as a family. I wanted to soak up every moment. Because I knew those moments would never come back. The baby didn't stay this tiny for long.

I watched Blair gently stroke her dark hair with her fingertips. A soft smile on her lips as Evie opened her eyes and looked at her. Was there anything more perfect? I don't think so.

My wife turned her head and looked at me. I gave her a kiss. First on her forehead, then on her mouth. As I usually did. I could see how tired she was, but as stubborn as she was, she didn't want to miss a moment.

"I love you." I whispered just as our daughter began to yawn.

She too had had a exhausting day. Evie was stretching and making the cutest noises that I already couldn't get enough of. She had me wrapped around her little finger without even trying.

"I love you, too. And so does Miss Evie. Don't you, sweetie? We love your Papi so much." replied Blair.

"Oh I think that was a definite yes. What do you think about taking a nap, baby?" I asked after the baby sneezed. Even that was adorable.

"That sounds like a good idea. Okay little one. Take good care of Papi while Mommy sleeps." replied Blair before giving Evie a kiss on the forehead.

Then I gently took her out of her mother's arms. But before I got up to sit back in the chair I gave her another long kiss.

"I'm incredibly proud of you." I whispered, resting my forehead against hers for a moment.

After that, it didn't take long for her to fall asleep. And Miss Evie took only a few minutes longer as well, during which I gently rocked her until her eyes remained closed.

"Sleep well, my princess," I breathed to her and also gave her a kiss on the forehead.

-------------------

The next morning Blair and Evie were examined again. Everything was fine and that meant I could take them home. While I carefully buckled Evie into her baby carrier, not wanting to hurt her, Blair packed everything up and got changed.

I could see how relieved she was to be leaving the hospital. And even though giving birth was a happy event, I couldn't blame her for how much she hated it. And I didn't like it much either. She sighed in relief as we finally sat in the car.

I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw her holding Evie's little hand. The blissful smile on her lips. I couldn't help but smile myself as I started the car and drove us home.

Together we drove into a new life, so to speak. And because I was afraid that something could happen to Evie, I drove extra carefully and slowly.

"D, everything is fine. You can go a little faster. I promise you nothing will happen to us." Blair said softly because she could feel how tense I was.

I didn't even have to tell her what was going on. She sensed it instinctively.

"I know, I know. Just let me play it extra super duper safe this one time," I replied.

"Okay, take your time. I'm not going anywhere." she said and by the sound of her voice you could tell she meant exactly what she said.

She was exactly where she wanted to be.