II ~ Will you?

Since my brother first informed me of the arrangement, I have not laid eyes upon the Viscount. I did not expect to, granted he left for Aubrey Hall earlier than us.

Presently, my brother and I are on our way to the Bridgerton ancestral home. To suggest that I am nervous would most definitely be an understatement. 

"What weighs upon your mind, Effie?" Henry questions. "I am unsure as to what to say about the engagement once we arrive," I confide. "In truth, there is no need to mention it. Act as you normally would, and all shall be well."

To be fair, I had hoped for the possibility of a love match. I admit that the Viscount is handsome and, according to my brother, a gentleman, but he only intends to fulfil his duty. There is no place for love in this union.

Finally, Aubrey Hall comes into view, and the Bridgertons await our arrival. Stepping out of the carriage, I am captivated by the magnificence of the stately manor before me.

"Miss Euphemia, I extend to you a warm welcome," Lady Bridgerton graciously greets me. "The pleasure is entirely mine Lady Bridgerton," I respond with a smile and a curtsy. She then turns her attention to my brother, and I glimpse at Anthony Bridgerton standing nearby. He acknowledges my gaze and approaches us.

"Miss Euphemia, a delight to see you once again," he greets, bestowing a gentle kiss upon my hand. "The sentiment is reciprocated, my lord," I reply with another curtsy.

"Let us go inside and prepare for the game," Lady Bridgerton suggests, and we all proceed into the glorious manor.

The game?

After settling into my quarters, I encounter my brother in the corridor, and together we join the Bridgertons in the spacious backyard, more akin to a field.

"Are you familiar with the game pall-mall?" Inquires Lord Bridgerton. "Regrettably, I am not acquainted with it," I respond. "Well, the goal is quite simple you need to guide your ball through all the wickets. The first to accomplish this wins."

I am given the privilege of choosing a mallet first and I select the one nearest, which happens to be black. "Ohh," the Bridgertons react. My gaze meets Anthony's, who wears a mysterious expression. "Forgive me, is this your mallet?" I inquire.

"No, it is alright, you may use it," he assures me, leaving his siblings astonished. "When I attempted to take it, you threatened to beat me," Colin reminds his brother. "You exaggerate," the Viscount objects. "I shall gladly choose another. It seems you harbour a preference, and truth be told, I shall be rather terrible at this game either way," I jest as I extend the mallet to him.

He offers a smile and accepts it from my hands.

My previous statement was true. I find myself perplexed as to how to wield the mallet. The Viscount, sensing my struggle, steps forth. "Might I assist?" he asks, indicating my arms, seeking consent to demonstrate the proper grip. I merely nod in affirmation, and he moves nearer.

From behind me, he cradles my arms with his, causing an almost unnoticeable flush to grace my cheeks, as he guides me in wielding the mallet.

When he releases his hold, I strike the ball, and to my delight, it navigates the wicket successfully. "Yes!" I exclaim with a smile, expressing my joy with a playful little jump. The Bridgertons find delight in my enthusiasm.

After a few rounds, Anthony's ball knocks mine further away. "Rest assured, it was an accidental collision," he assures me, but in jest, I narrow my eyes.

As we both walk towards the spots where our balls came to rest, the damp grass from yesterday's rain proves unsafe, and I find myself slipping. 

In a moment of chivalry, Anthony swiftly abandons his mallet to prevent my fall, catching me. "It appears you have redeemed yourself for the hit to my ball. Thank you," I jest, expressing my gratitude, which prompts a soft chuckle from the Viscount. 

The game ends with Eloise emerging as the victor. Anthony did not look pleased but ended up congratulating her.

◆◆◆

As the sun began its descent, I found myself seated in my chamber, engrossed in contemplation, when a discreet knock resounds upon my door. "Enter!" I call, and with measured steps, Lord Bridgerton graces the threshold. 

"I apologize for the intrusion, Miss Euphemia, but would you do me the honour of accompanying me for a leisurely stroll?" he inquires. "It would be my delight," I reply graciously, accepting the outstretched arm he offers.

The evening breeze caresses our cheeks, carrying a mild chill that is more refreshing than discomforting. A sense of worry tinges the edges of my consciousness, for I understand the significance of this stroll.

We pause once we reach the garden, and the Viscount gallantly unlinks his arm, taking a position before me. "Miss Euphemia, though you are already aware of the arrangement, I deemed it fitting for this moment to be pleasant," he begins with a tone of sincerity, sinking to one knee. "Will you do me the honour of becoming my wife, Miss Euphemia Dayton?" With a graceful gesture, Anthony opens a small box that holds a beautiful ring.

My knowledge of this gentleman remained light, but the dictates of duty prevailed, and thus I smile. "Yes, my lord."

His face brightens, and he removes my glove before sliding the ring onto my finger.

"I am aware that our acquaintance has been brief, but rest assured, I shall afford you the utmost respect," he pledges, as we commence our return.

Upon our reunion with the assembled company for dinner, a chorus of congratulations fills the air. Yet, I perceive a hint of reluctance in Lady Bridgerton's face, causing me to wonder whether she disapproves of this arrangement. I would not fault her for she does not know me, just like I do not know the Viscount. I can only hope it is not permanent.

In time, however, the Lady's demeanour softens, and she, too, extends her congratulations with a smile.

The Bridgertons and the Daytons share an evening of joy and harmony, engaging one another with laughter and tales.

____________

Thank you for reading.

XO - E.