VII ~ All is well

Euphemia's POV

I leave the ball, with Henry trailing behind me, and make my way to our awaiting carriage. Upon stepping into it, my brother maintains a solemn silence until I cannot contain my emotions any longer, and a tear escapes my eye. 

"What troubles you, Effie?" he inquires with tender concern.

"I do not know what to do," I confess, allowing another tear to follow its course. "You must decide whether he is the one you wish to be with," he advises me, and I shake my head. 

"It matters not. He deserves happiness, and his mother-" I stifled my words, unwilling to pursue that line further.

Based on the evening's observations, my brother puts forth, "From what I witnessed tonight, Anthony cares for you deeply and may even desire to be with you. If such is the truth, his mother shall find no reason to disapprove." His words, though sound, fail to bring me comfort.

"Perhaps not, but what if it is too late?" 

◆◆◆

The morrow greets me with a mind filled with restlessness. Fortunate it is, there are no balls or races today, for I fear my spirit would not withstand them.

After dressing, I descend to the lower quarters, where my brother awaits me with a glimmer of hope on his face. "There is something I wish for you to see in our garden. It may lift your spirits," he shares with genuine excitement, leaving me puzzled.

"Very well... shall we proceed then?" I question, unsure of what awaits. "No. I believe you ought to go alone," Henry urges me.

I venture into the garden, uncertain of what to seek, when a voice startles me from behind. "I thought the garden might conjure a memory. One of my dearest ones," Anthony reveals, causing me to promptly turn around.

"You are here. Why?" I inquire, my nerves making me hesitant to move. "I am here for you," he declares, drawing closer until the space between us is incredibly small. My tongue fails to find words.

"Yesterday, I came to a realisation, a truth that should have dawned before you departed Aubrey Hall. Yet, witnessing you leave for a second time brought me to my senses. I understand my mother's wishes and how you wish for the same, but I assure you, I am happy when I am with you. When you are near, thoughts of duty and business evade me entirely. I am consumed by ideas of where we might reside after the wedding and what tale you shall tell me next. I hold deep affection for you, and I yearn to be with you," Anthony confesses, then kneels on one knee.

"If you shall have me," he adds and takes out the ring. 

Tears have already gathered in my eyes, though I jest, "I believe there should be a question, my Lord."

He chuckles in response. "Very well, allow me to ask once more. Euphemia Dayton, will you marry me?"

"Yes," I reply, meeting his gaze. His smile broadens, and he gently slides the ring onto my finger.

As he stands, our faces draw near, almost touching. "May I kiss you?" he asks, placing a hand on my cheek. My eyes remain locked with his, and I nod in consent.

I could see a gentle flicker of anticipation in his gaze. At that moment, time seemed to slow down, and everything around us blurred into insignificance.

As his lips gently touched mine, a wave of butterflies erupted inside me. I couldn't believe it was happening, and yet, it felt so right and natural. My fingers found their way to the back of his neck, pulling him closer, deepening the connection.

With each passing second, the kiss became more confident and passionate, yet still tender and gentle. I could feel the intensity of his emotions through that kiss, and I knew that this was just as special for him as it was for me.

As our lips part, I am left breathless and euphoric. He retains his hold on my cheeks, gazing into my eyes. "We have a wedding to plan," he whispers.

◆◆◆    ◆◆◆    ◆◆◆

Anthony and I agreed not to hasten the wedding, allowing ourselves time to savour each other's company. However, the Queen insisted we wed in two months.

And now, the moment is at hand. After hours of preparation, I find myself standing in the church, my brother Henry at my side.

"Are you prepared?" he inquires, and I respond with a smile.

The melody begins to play, signalling our entrance. Anthony comes into view at the end of the aisle, as handsome as ever, with a smile gracing his face.

My brother leads me to him, and Anthony takes my hand gently. I stand before him. "You look radiant," he murmurs softly. "And you, equally so."

"Please be seated," the archbishop initiates the ceremony. "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today..." he continues, but I find it difficult to focus, for Anthony's intense gaze holds me captive.

"I do," Anthony's voice breaks through my trance. "And do you, Euphemia Dayton, take Anthony Bridgerton to be your husband?" the archbishop addresses me. "I do."

"You may now kiss the bride," the archbishop declares, and Anthony wastes no time in cupping my cheeks and leaning in for a passionate, meaningful kiss.

The room erupts in applause as we pull away.

"I love you," he whispers, and my heart overflows with joy.

{The End}

_________

Thank you so much for reading the full story.

I've realised I am incapable of making a slow burn, so my apologies.

I hope you liked this story.

XO - E.