V ~ It is done

I awake from my slumber, my heart heavy with dread for the task ahead. After dressing myself, I descend the stairs to find Anthony awaiting my company. "Euphemia," he greets me, and together we make our way towards the stables.

"Have you ridden horses before? I realise I did not ask," he questions once we reach the horses. "I have. In truth, I find much enjoyment in it," I respond.

Upon mounting our horses, our leisurely journey commences as we talk about topics such as the ball at Aubrey Hall and how his siblings tend to give him a hard time. I too speak of the troubles that my older brother brings.

"So, how are you enjoying the country?" Anthony questions on our way back. My hands tremble slightly from nerves. I collect myself and reply, "It is most peaceful. I confess I prefer it over the city."

"I have to agree with you on that. I have contemplated relocating here after the wedding. At least for a little while. Would you fancy that?" Anthony questions, prompting a momentary freeze in my demeanour.

The wedding.

I decided to wait until our return to talk about it, for I had already packed my belongings and arranged for a carriage.

"That sounds most delightful," I mutter softly, prompting concern to cloud Anthony's face. "Is everything alright? If that is not what you truly wish, we can discuss it further."

"There is something I must express. A matter I-I must address," I stammer. "But let us return first," I add, trying to stall the inevitable.

Anthony appeared concerned but agreed to my request.

◆◆◆

Upon reaching the stables, we lead the horses within.

Anthony places a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Alright, now tell me. What is it?"

Drawing a deep breath, I compose my thoughts.

"Our engagement... It was never truly born out of love but rather out of a sense of obligation. I-I have reconsidered, and I think it is for the best if we end it. I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience, but I cannot proceed with this union. I know we both wish to fulfil our duty, but it needn't be like that. We both deserve to feel loved. There are many eligible girls in town who would want you as a husband, and undoubtedly, you would find someone you genuinely love."

What I said was not entirely true. I had no intention of seeking a love match, for my brother will most likely be angered and will put me back into the marriage market immediately. Nor did I disclose anything regarding his mother's partake in this, as standing between a mother and her son was the last thing I desired.

Anthony stands motionless. Taking this as my cue, I leave the stables and hasten towards the manor.

I shall not lie. This act pained me slightly, and I could not fathom precisely why. Perhaps I had developed a fondness for the Viscount. Yet, I persuaded myself that such matters were of no consequence.

Upon entering the manor, I hastily gathered the remaining items from my chambers. Just before departing, I recall the ring still on my finger. Gently sliding it off, I place it on the nightstand and depart, heading for the carriage that awaits me.

I recognize it is quite impolite to leave without bidding farewell to the Bridgertons, but I have no desire to explain the entirety of what has happened.

As I watch Aubrey Hall recede from view, I sigh deeply.

Anthony's POV

I stand motionless in the stables. Euphemia is ending our engagement? I cannot fathom what prompted this decision. I ought to feel relieved, and yet... I am uncertain.

I fail to notice Euphemia's departure until it is too late. Snapping out of my trance, I hurriedly make my way to the manor to establish the reason behind her actions.

Inside, my mother regards me with concern, observing my dishevelled appearance. "Are you well?" she inquires. "I-I... Have you seen Euphemia?" I ask, neglecting to address her question. "I do not know. The maids informed me that she left in a carriage. What has happened, Anthony?"

"Euphemia, she ended the engagement," I inform my mother. "Oh, she did? Well, I did mention such things may occur with young ladies," my mother reacts calmly. I suppose she had mentioned it before, but I did not anticipate this from Euphemia.

"Did she provide a reason?" She inquires of me. "I-I do not know. It appears she simply does not wish to marry me. She expressed that our union was solely a matter of duty and that she desires to find love. Moreover, she wishes the same for me." I reply.

"A sensible girl. Well, she is correct, Anthony. Perhaps you will encounter a young lady with whom you shall fall madly in love, and then you may even express gratitude to Miss Euphemia," my mother assures me, but I harbour doubts. Euphemia seemed the perfect match - intelligent, caring, humorous, and undoubtedly... beautiful.

"There is a ball in a few days. You shall make your reappearance there and start your search once more," she proposes. "Mother, my goal remains unaltered," I remind her as I walk away.

Arriving at what used to be Euphemia's chamber, I note it is now empty of her belongings. However, I spot the ring that I had presented to her resting on the nightstand.

I gaze at it and sigh, confused and irritated by this entire affair.

I returned the ring to its box, which I then placed back in my pocket.

_____________

Thank you for reading.

I've rewritten this chapter about 3 times because I wasn't sure which way it was going. I hope you still enjoyed it.

XO - E.