VI ~ Encounter

Euphemia's POV

After a few hours, the carriage reaches my home, but I am far too nervous to leave it. I notice my brother walking out with a smile. A smile that will shortly not be there.

Stepping out of the carriage, I meet my brother halfway. "You have returned so soon," he greets me, and I nod, though my lips fail to mirror the gesture.

"What has happened?" he inquires, clearly concerned. "There shall be no wedding with the Viscount," I reply in a hushed tone. His features turn into shock. "What? Has he done something?" he asks, his face now tainted with anger.

"No. It is I who ended the engagement," I answer truthfully and lower my gaze. "Why would you do such a thing?!" he exclaims, as I had foreseen.

"There must be a reason you did this, sister. Please, tell me," he calms down and inquires. "Alright, but you cannot tell anyone this. Lady Bridgerton desires her son to wed for love. Hence, she advised me to reconsider," I confess to him.

"Do you love him?" He asks me and catches me off guard. "I-I... No, I... I do not know," I admit and he nods knowingly.

"Fret not, sister. We shall inform others that you have changed your mind, and all shall be well," he reassures me, and I regard him with astonishment. "You are not mad?" I inquire, bewildered.

"Not at you, dear sister. Lady Bridgerton may offer counsel, but she shall not dictate your life. The deed is done, and I shall not breathe a word of this to anyone," Henry replies, and I embrace him tightly. "I am grateful," I murmur, with my face against his chest.

"Do not thank me yet, there is a ball coming up. We must find you a new suitor," he informs me, to which I nod in agreement.

◆◆◆

Dearest reader, this author has some unexpected news.  It appears that the betrothal between Miss Dayton and Viscount Bridgerton has been dissolved. Miss Euphemia seems to have had a change of heart and no longer desires to be wed to Lord Bridgerton. Perhaps she wishes for a love match after all.

To all the ladies, it seems the Diamond is back and with her, the competition. Wishing you all the best of fortune.

I set aside the article. A few days have passed since the termination of the engagement. Unsurprisingly, Lady Whistledown is already aware of the matter, and, consequently, so is the entire town.

Though nervous about rejoining society this evening, I resolve not to dwell upon it.

"Are you ready?" Henry asks as we approach the ball's venue. I shake my head, and he chuckles. "Fear not, all shall be well. Let us proceed," he says, and we step out of the carriage. My brother links his arm with mine, and together, we enter the manor.

As expected, all eyes are upon us. Some engage in gossip, while others extend kind smiles, which I reciprocate.

The music is playing and the dance floor is full of people dancing. "Might I have the honour of the first dance?" my brother jests with a bow, and I laugh. "Of course, Lord Dayton."

We move to the dance floor and commence our dance, my brother's plan successfully bringing forth my laughter.

Upon concluding the dance, another gentleman approaches, wishing for the next one. I respond with polite graciousness and accept his offer.

Unbeknownst to me, the Viscount gazes upon my every move as I dance with the unknown gentleman.

Anthony's POV

As I enter the ballroom, my mother at my side and Eloise and Benedict trailing behind, a gentleman approaches Eloise, prompting Benedict to quickly take her away.

"Alright, now do not be rude to these girls and go interact," my mother tells me and ushers me to go. "Alright, alright, I am going."

I talk to a few ladies when in the midst of one such exchange, I am unexpectedly interrupted. I see Euphemia dancing with another gentleman, an odd sensation overtaking me. "Uh, pardon me, but I must excuse myself," I hastily inform the lady and depart.

Drawing nearer, I inadvertently find myself observing their dance. My fists clench as I witness her laughter, a reaction not meant for my eyes.

"You are staring, Lord Bridgerton," a voice startles me, and I turn to find Lord Dayton, a sly smile gracing his lips. "Oh, um, yes. I was merely ensuring her well-being," I attempt to explain, though my unease is noticeable.

"I was hopeful to encounter you. Perhaps to encourage a reconsideration," he shares, leaving me puzzled. "A reconsideration? If memory serves, it was your sister who ended our engagement, not me," I state, and he nods in agreement.

"Yes, it was not you who ended the engagement, but it was not my sister either," he reveals, his gaze drifting elsewhere. I follow his line of sight, realizing it is directed at my mother. Could it be true? Could she be behind this?

"She told Euphemia to do this?" I ask him in disbelief. "I think you should ask her yourself. I pledged to Euphemia not to disclose the matter to anyone," Lord Dayton responds before withdrawing as if nothing had happened.

Swiftly, I approach my mother. "Mother, might I speak with you in private?" I request, leading her to a secluded area.

"Tell me it is not true. Tell me you did not persuade Euphemia to end our engagement," I demand, and she momentarily freezes. "Why would you think that?" she denies.

"Tell me!" I raise my voice. "Very well, I did! Yet, you must understand, all I ever desired was your happiness!" she confesses. "What if my happiness lay with HER?" I shout once more, causing her to step back.

"Is that true?" she asks incredulously, but I do not reply. Instead, I promptly return to the ballroom.

Once I set eyes on Euphemia, I draw nearer. "Might I have this dance?" I inquire, and she gazes up, astonishment evident in her eyes. She appears inclined to decline, but I interrupt. "Please?" I ask her, and she gives in.

We begin to dance, a moment of silence between us. "I am aware of my mother's involvement in this matter, leading you to end the engagement," I disclose. "My lord, I-" she starts to speak, but I interrupt gently.

"Anthony. I told you to call me Anthony," I correct her and add "We must address this matter." She shakes her head. "It is best left untouched. Your mother is expecting you to find happiness, and I agree with her," she replies and halts our dance. "I apologise, Lord Bridgerton."

I watch as she departs the manor, her brother trailing behind her.

_________________

Thank you for reading.

I've decided to switch the POVs a bit because I wanted to show both of their thoughts.

XO - E.