III ~ Public

The eve of the Bridgerton ball has graced us, and as Lady Bridgerton suggested, the Viscount and I were to make our entrance together into the grand ballroom. Thus, I presently find myself awaiting him in the library.

"Find anything intriguing?" Lord Bridgerton's voice startles me. "My apologies did not mean to frighten you," he adds, observing my reaction. "It is alright, my lord. And indeed, the collection is quite captivating. I have not read many of these books."

"Well, you are most welcome to read anything you fancy. Shall we make our way?" He extends his arm, and I nod, intertwining my arm with his.

"Please, extend your congratulations to the newly engaged couple. Viscount Bridgerton and Miss Dayton!" One of the men proclaims, and we descend the staircase to a resounding applause from the ballroom.

As expected of us, we partake in the first dance. Anthony maintains unbroken eye contact throughout, a gesture I reciprocate.

"I hope it would not be an inconvenience for you to prolong your stay here for a few more days," he remarks before the song's end. "Of course, my lord," I respond with a bow, and he walks away to engage his acquaintances in conversation.

Meanwhile, the Duchess of Hastings approaches me. "Your grace," I curtsy. "Oh, that is alright. We are practically family now," she smiles at me. 

I quickly glance at Anthony, and she follows my gaze. "Do you wish to wed my brother?" she inquires, causing a slight startle within me at her question. "Of course. It is my duty to my family, and the Viscount is a gentleman. I feel most fortunate."

"You echo his sentiments precisely. He, too, upholds his responsibilities and cherishes his family. Perhaps true affection may blossom between you two," she responds with a warm smile.

"I suppose time will reveal, your Grace."

◆◆◆

I made my way from my chambers when I halted in my tracks upon overhearing a conversation originating from the Viscount's office.

"-marrying a woman for whom you clearly hold no tenderness or love. I wish for you to be excited to marry Miss Euphemia, but instead, you act as though you are approaching the gallows," Lady Bridgerton's words reach my ears.

Though I comprehend her desire for her son's happiness, it was unsettling to hear our union compared to an impending demise. Could it be true? Does the Viscount genuinely feel like that?

"What I want does not matter. Besides, I could never dishonour Miss Euphemia like that by cancelling the wedding," he responds. "A gentleman cannot take back his word. But a woman can. It happens all the time with young ladies," Lady Bridgerton persists.

"She, too, acts out of duty, Mother. I see no reason for her to wish an end to our betrothal."

I hastened away, desiring not to pry further into their intimate discussion.

Upon descending, I notice my brother with his satchel at hand. "Are you departing?" I inquire. "I deeply regret it, Effie, but I must attend to business. The Viscount pledged to escort you home when the time comes."

"So you shall leave me here, alone amongst strangers?" I questioned, a hint of unease in my tone. "The Bridgertons are now your family as well. I apologize. I shall see you in a few days," Henry embraced me before boarding his carriage.

Truth be told, my spirits were far from serene on this day. The overheard conversation, coupled with my brother's departure... I do not even fault myself.

Soon, I found myself sharing tea with the Viscount in one of the common chambers, and there lay a Lady Whistledown article upon the table.

Dearest reader, should you not have been in attendance at Aubrey Hall, you may have missed the momentous news. It appears our first engagement of the season has happened.

The Queen's Diamond is, indeed, betrothed to Viscount Bridgerton. It may seem swift, yet it is evident that this union is one of duty rather than passion.

It raises speculation as to whether the Viscount's proposal was merely a consequence of Miss Dayton's favour with the Queen, or if he holds genuine affection for the young lady. I believe it to be the former, as Lord Bridgerton did not linger to accompany his betrothed after just one dance.

I stop reading, for it is mere gossip.

I turn my gaze toward the subject of the article. The Viscount seems engrossed in his papers. I cannot help but ponder if this is how my life shall unfold. Him engrossed in his affairs, me sitting around with nothing to do and no words exchanged between us, or him often away on business while I tend to our children.

Yet now, I must acknowledge the possibility of him harbouring doubts about our union.

"I take it she wrote about us?" The Viscount's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. "Indeed, my lord. But it is only gossip," I reply, to which he nods in agreement.

Miss Eloise joins us, a book in hand. "Ah, this book is most fascinating and delightfully written," I remark to her. She looks up, her face brightening. "Indeed! Do you not find the author's narrative skill to be exceptional?" she inquires, and I agree.

"Finally, someone here who reads and possesses valuable insights. You've chosen well, brother, a surprising occurrence given your usual lack of sound judgments," Eloise remarks, and Anthony rolls his eyes playfully with a hint of a smile.

Just then, Lady Bridgerton walks into the room. "Good afternoon. Miss Euphemia, I would like to show you something outside."

"Excuse me, my lord, Miss Eloise," I offer a nod to them before following their mother.

She leads me to a secluded spot where a gravestone bore the name of the previous Viscount Bridgerton.

"My husband died some years ago. I loved him dearly, and I desire for my children to experience such affection as we once shared. Hence, I urge you to reconsider wedding my son."

____________

Thank you for reading.

XO - E.