Last Chance

(A/N: I was so close to splitting this chapter into two because of how long it is, alas, enjoy this long chapter.)

The thrill of suiting up for a mission never got less exciting or thrilling for Skylar, especially when it was a mission with Ethan, and those have been far and few, the past three years.

Getting in a helicopter with Billy for the second time, only this time, Skylar was in the back making sure her cable was attached well, and she had everything she would need inside the building.

"Check-check, got copy?" Ethan says after Skylar had her check, as they hover above the Biocyte building, "You're five-by-five." Billy replies, as he closes in over the atrium opening, the louvers still shut, as they ebbed themselves for when it would open.

"Luther, how we doin'?" Ethan asks the man in the van by the building's side. "Not there yet, Ethan. I'll give you the word." Luther answers.

The chopper had two pulleys for both their cables, Ethan asks, "Billy, ready to go?" at the man's nod, he latches the hook attached to his belt onto the cable's ring, with a leg on the chopper's stand, the other inside the bird.

Once secured, he turns to his companion, "Skylar." At his words, she copies his actions, from inside the helicopter, given their height difference.

"Okay, package away in five..." Billy starts the count down. Hearing this, Luther protests from his side of the comm, "I'm not ready. The louvers aren't moving." He tells them.

"Come on, Luther. We gotta go!" Billy retorts back, knowing they can't keep hovering for long, "Wait, there's a glitch in the access code." Luther explains.

Ignoring the commotion, Ethan preps himself for the fall, as he locks himself in a horizontal position, anchored by the chopper's stand, seeing that, Skylar does nothing but copy, knowing if she lagged for a second, the mission's toast.

"Luther, we're out of time." Billy tells the man, "On the count." He warns, then starts the countdown, Skylar could hear Luther begging the codes to work out, but she couldn't get herself to worry, because she knew he'd pull through.

When Billy's countdown reached one, Ethan yelled out warning Luther, "We're going now!" which Skylar took as cue to follow him, as they both jumped synchronously.

No time to stop after Luther yells, "Ethan, wait!" The louvers where fast approaching as the pull of gravity affected them, Skylar had a sure grip on her cable, ready to stop herself in case the atrium doesn't open in time.

But as they near the closed opening, they watch as they slowly flip open, in time for both of them to slip through, letting out a sigh of relief, Sky's next worry was to catch her drop, in time.

Ethan's position put him in direct fall over the glass on the floor, that doubled as the lap's ceiling, meaning he had to be more cautious about his fall, as not to break through it and sound the alarms. But they still had to worry about the guard in the viewing room.

Given her lighter weight, Skylar was able to pull to a stop faster than Ethan, so she wasn't in direct line for the viewing room's glass window when she stopped. Ethan, on the other hand, stopped a metre above the glass floor, and directly in view from the guard's room.

With how the room was placed, it was easy for the guard to see everything, even Skylar which was why she quickly swung herself to leaning above the room's glass window, that overlooked the atrium, which would be it's only blind spot. Ethan had followed too and stood a few inches away from her.

Waiting for the guard to move, so they could take off their cables before the 40 seconds were up. Luther had been counting down the seconds since they atrium opened.