IV

Malena

Malena

"Wow, what a beautiful name."

"Thank you."

She has only about a minute to stretch when Alice and Mr.Dubas ask everyone to stand.

I find Mr. Dubas staring at me with intrigue, his dark eyes drinking me in, studying me. I was different no doubt from the usual girls he teaches. Dark skin, dark almond eyes. Though his eyes hold appreciation as if he loved my beauty.

"Everyone in line!"

We all line up and I drink in the room. Vaulted white ceilings with intricate detailing. Mirrors span the entire wall. Dark flooring and white walls. The room is very large, there are more than enough space for the fourteen of us, plus the instructors.

My thoughts are interrupted. "My name is Cassandra." I whip my head to see the blonde girl who laughed at Alina and I introduce herself to everyone.

"Cassandra will be playing the white swan, Odette." Mr.Dubas states. Everyone claps and she smiles brightly, her gleaming white teeth showing.

I frown softly.

Everyone takes turns saying their name until it gets to me.

I clear my throat nervously "I am Malena."

Alice smiles softly "Malena will be playing the black swan, Odile."

The room breaks into applause and I smile appreciatively. My eyes land on Cassandra and I see her narrow her blue eyes at me and whisper to her friends "fitting."

I rip my eyes away ignoring her snideness.

Everyone introduces themselves, the rest of the girls were the swans of Odette, the white swan.

We begin some stretching exercises conducted. I perform them seamlessly as they were often the ones that Alice made me do. Alina looks quite bored out of her mind and I chuckle.

I look over to see Cassandra constantly fixing her hair in the midst.

I hear a clap and Alice elegantly signals for us to stop.

She summarizes the choreography for us.

The dance starts off with the black swan alone dancing quietly when she is suddenly ambushed by the white swan and her dancers. They dance the black swan into a corner, ambushing her and diminishing her character. Over time the confidence of the black swan lessens and she becomes weaker as the white swan takes over the dance. The black swan falls in love with the Prince when he dances with her for comfort, until he turns his back on her sending his men to kill her so he can marry the white swan. The black swan becomes bitter and cold wanting revenge. In the end, the black swan is killed.

The dance was about two hours. I will be dancing for one and a half. Cassandra will also dance for one and a half, including our time together.

"We will begin the choreo, will the black swan step forward please."

I step forward through the crowd as the girls stare at me and make way.

"Follow my footsteps."

I gulp nervously as the girls watch bending and stretching on the bar, muttering to each other.

I watch Alice one time and then begin to follow her movement.

The steps are quite challenging and required precision. I counted the beats of the piano music playing.

"STOP"

Mr.Dubas walks over to me. He comes behind me and places his hands on my waist.

"Your pirouette must be tighter. Bring in your toes higher on the leg." He says looking into my eyes.

He spins me holding onto my waist. He looks down at me into my eyes when he stops.

I squirm in discomfort. It seems he has taken a liking to me...

Alice nods and we continue. I try the same pirouette.

We go over the dance more and I see Cassandra glare at me. I was good, too good.

And she did not like that.

I knew she would make it her whole plan to outshine me.

If she wanted to be the only lead role, she should try out for the Nutcracker.

The beginning was soft and beautiful, with precise steps.

Now the rest of the girls join in along with the white swan. My character is surrounded, attacked, and ostracised. The music is loud and crescendoed, as the music got louder, the steps became more frantic and rushed.

My dancing had to become fast and large. I take leaps and long pirouettes.

"aaaand finish" I finish my pirouette with an ending pose on the ground, defeated with Cassandra beside me tall and her arms to the sky.

"Beautiful!"

Mr.Dubas and Alice clap for all of us.

My entire body screams in pain.

I walk off to the bar to relax when I am ambushed by a pair of green eyes.

"Malena, let us exchange numbers please." Alina chirps.

I hastily gave her my number.

"Girls, tomorrow's practice the boys will join us. The role of the prince and his soldiers will be filled."

Cassandra and her friend giggle excitedly as I head out with a roll of my eyes.

I walk down the hallway looking down in exhaustion.

When I turn my eyes up I see a beautiful man looking down at me.

Deep blue eyes, rich blonde hair. Classicly French. Practically Renaissance.

He is wearing a white tank and grey sweats. His muscles bulging from the white tank.

He looks me in the eyes his pink lips parted like he is in awe.

It feels weird I guess. Guys that look like him always used to make fun of me and here such a beautiful man is drinking me in with his eyes.

"Luc!"

I turn to see Cassandra run up to him squealing.

He rips his eyes from me for a second.

"Cassandra," he says his deep voice amplifying.

She hugs him and he respectfully pats her as he looks at me. His look is deep like he's speaking with his eyes.

"What's your name?" They ask me.

But my eyes.

They dissociate from his.

They don't want to give my name.

I leave.

He seemed very cordial with her, not very affectionate. Like he tolerates her.

Whatever. None of my business anyways.