VII

Malena

Malena

"Cours cours! Tout le monde, le spectacle va commencer" (run run! Everyone, the show will start).

Everyone is in mayhem backstage as I see people running with costumes and props to begin.

Walking into the theatre was a luxury. Tall high ceilings, large draped curtains, and an audience of thousands. It was an opera house as well.

I am sitting in the makeup chair as the artist covers my eyes in black paint, thick black winged liner, and shadow. My lips are painted in burgundy lipstick shining by the illuminated mirror.

I admire my hair adorned into a bun with pearls and the black nettled tiara on my head. A beautiful black tutu dress is on my frame with black jewels and sequins and white stockings.

This room is a separate changing room backstage from the main area. In the background I see Cassandra sitting on the chair with a frown. Her eyes are covered in white paint and large black lashes along the edges of her eyes. Some crystals are glued along her eye area and she has a white pearled and crustal tutu identical to mine but in white. Her lips are in red lipstick and her blonde hair is slicked into a bun.

She looks beautiful.

"Malena, your shoes!"

I look to see Alice running over to me.

In her hand is a pair of black point shoes, brand new.

My hand goes to cover my mouth in shock but she grabs it smiling nervously.

"We don't want to ruin your makeup."

"Alice they are so beautiful!"

She smiles happily and puts them in my lap.

Her hair is in a high pony and she is wearing a white short dress.

"Make me proud, ok, these shoes are my gift to you, I know your pointe shoes are old now, you have had them since you were fourteen."

I crush her into a hug as much as I can with my tutu resulting in me slanting over her.

She pats my shoulder appreciatively.

The makeup artist signals that the makeup is done and Alice points over to all the girls to go into the hallway.

All of us girls walk into the hallways lining up to go to the main backstage area.

I feel a pat on my shoulder and see Alina behind me.

"Alina!"

I look at the thin black liner and flawless makeup covering her skin, as well as the simple white tutu she is wearing. Her makeup was nowhere near as dramatic as I and Cassandra's.

"Are you excited swan?"

I giggle softly, "we'll do great." I grab her hand assuringly.

She smiles comfortingly.