Epilogue: Sacrificed Students

Now that Glen knew that what he called the proverbial sacrifices to the Hindu mathletics gods weren't in vain, he became interested in following every single one of them in his life as a retired superintendent, on top of following the VAs in the present. And, of course, helping Trillian run her nonprofit. That nonprofit has not only online resources, as well as news, but also took over the management of the Venomous Agenda Classic.

As for the movie deal, the parish agreed to allow scenes to be filmed at VA, during actual VAs' math team practices, and the resulting film is loosely based on Trillian's life up to this point, but the movie instead portrayed race and gender as being much bigger obstacles for the protagonist than was the case for Trillian in reality, as opposed to isolation and, to a lesser extent, poverty. However, it was ultimately a low budget movie, with Trillian's father becoming a screenwriter. However, as a screenwriter, his work is widely considered genre or niche, depending on how one views the result.

The town has seen its share of academic team stars so many schools across the country could only dream of, and certainly in rural areas. But for a town that's intensely devoted to its academic team stars, most residents took for granted that they will go on to college and their adult lives would still command some measure of respect. By and large, they do. However, no one took a more active interest in them than the people who taught them, and Glen.

For years, he kept a log of who does what among those past stars, and his own children along with them, in chronological order of graduation. And there's a lot of them for him to cover. Which meant the lengthy log began with Jonah, and each alum should be covered as succinctly as possible, education and career.

-------------------------

Jonah, the oldest child, became an ergonomic assessor and peddled ergonomic assessments across southwest Louisiana.

Dexter, the middle child, graduated from Tulane and ended up working as a corporate recruiter in New Orleans, living a comfortable (If not necessarily the most affluent) life in Uptown.

Éliane gave up on mathletics in college and ended up going into medicine, and returning to Louisiana to do so, practicing family medicine.

-------------------------

Oh God, Gen. She will always have a special place in my heart, because she played a much bigger role than Éliane in blazing the trail, and breaking the ground, that led to the VAs becoming a household name in mathletics, especially for girls, Glen now seems to struggle to write her entry in the log, given just how Gen was seemingly the reason why he so fanatically made the school, and later the parish, pursue mathletic glory during all these years. No matter what he would even want to write about Gen, it would certainly be more detailed than for most people in this log.

-------------------------

As manic as Gen was in her own pursuit of mathletic glory, she saw both sides of it: first as one of the top female contestants on the Putnam (a collegiate mathletic contest), and later as a deputy team leader at the EGMO when Jennifer competed, and as a team leader when Trillian did so for the first time. As a mathematician, she won several accolades, both as an undergraduate at Harvard and in graduate school at MIT. She ultimately devoted her research to numerical analysis and taught at Tulane, but only seemed to want to get involved with the EGMO if VAs competed.

As for Krista, who became a bitter mathletic rival of Gen in college, she was instead drawn to mathematical physics. However, unlike Gen, she worked in the defense industry after defending her dissertation.

Marcia, on the other hand, gave up on mathletics in college, and worked in investment banking after playing four years of quiz bowl for the UPenn Quakers, and majoring in math, despite not graduating from Wharton.