XXXIX. The right choice

Simon 'Ghost' Riley  ~ 09:30 pm

Her jaw drops as I stand there, facing her. The weight of my discarded mask rests on top of the clothes in my arms, but I can't bring myself to make eye contact. My gaze wanders aimlessly, searching for something to focus on other than her eyes.

"Simon," she mumbles, her voice breaking the silence. I feel my breath catch in my chest, as if the confident persona I usually wear has abandoned me. "-Don't mention it," I mumble back, my usually loud voice barely audible.

She stumbles over her words, trying to find the right thing to say. "You're beautiful..." she manages to stutter out, her voice filled with a mix of awe and panic. She doesn't even blink as she looks at me. Panic ensues in my own mind as well, causing me to look away once again.

"I'm sorry," I mumble, feeling the sudden need to apologize.

"Don't do that," she says softly, her touch sending a jolt of warmth through me. "There's nothing to be sorry for."

I try to break eye contact, overwhelmed by the intensity of the moment. But she persists, her finger brushing gently against my cheek, urging me to look at her again. Reluctantly, I meet her gaze, my eyes darting back and forth, unable to hold her steady gaze without the shield of my mask. A small smile plays at the corner of her lips and it somehow manages to calm me down at least a little bit.

"I'm serious... Thank you for trusting me," she whispers, her hands still caressing my face.

I offer a barely perceptible nod, a silent acknowledgment of her words. The furrows in my brow ease slightly, and I take a deep breath, feeling a sense of relief wash over me. She takes the pile of clothes from my hands, her touch soothing and comforting.

"Here," she says, breaking the tension in the air. "Give me these. I'll wash your mask by hand. Just to be safe." Her smile radiates warmth and understanding.

"Thank you," I manage to say, my forced smile not matching the genuine gratitude I feel in my chest.

"Why don't you go give Bagel a cuddle? I'll be right out," she suggests, her concern for me evident in her voice.

I nod in response and leave the bathroom, grateful for the small reprieve. As I sit down on the couch again, the tension holding up in all my muscles slowly eases out. Especially when her cat jumps up on my lap again.

The sound of Bagel's purring fills the air, a soothing melody that reassures me of her presence. I find solace in the comforting weight of the cat nestled on my chest, her fur providing a sense of security that I usually find in my mask.

Meanwhile, she lingers in the bathroom, her eyes meeting her own reflection in the mirror, hidden behind the half-closed door that still offers me a tiny glimpse of what's inside.

I can tell she tries not to make a big deal out of it. I can also tell it is a big deal for her. But she understands the weight of the moment from my side too. She respects my wishes, as expressed earlier.

"Simon," she says as if to warn me, her voice carrying through the partially open door. "I did a pretty good job... Don't you think?"

With the mask dangling from her hands, she steps into the living room, where she finds me settled on the couch. Bagel still rests peacefully on my chest, her purring a constant lullaby, my hand losing itself in the depths of her fur.

"Looks good," I say, my voice softer than usual. "Thank you."

"It's no problem at all," she murmurs, placing my mask in a safe spot to dry. "Can I make you some food?"