XLIX. The Price of Redemption (Part 3)

My ears are ringing by the time the helicopter touches the ground. Ghost has a hand on my back, keeping me steady from the storm created by the propellers. Keegan stands off to my left, overlooking the field while also keeping an eye on the base behind us.

As the doors open, I see König sitting next to Alejandro and Rudy. But it's only when I enter the machinery that I notice an out-of-place, yet familiar face.

"Liam?" I exclaim, my voice betraying my happiness. "What are you doing here?!"

He smiles, sitting back to allow me some space. "Price needed backup. I guess I'm not so average after all."

The corner of my mouth twitches at his comment but I quickly secure myself next to him. His eyes widen for a split second as Ghost gets in the helicopter too. As he takes a seat, Liam looks at him for a moment.

I'm not sure what happened when they met the first time, since I wasn't exactly there.

"Lieutenant," Liam tips his head at Ghost.

Ghost turns to look at him once more, even though I could tell he had noticed him already. "Sergeant Katz. Good to see you."

Sergeant? He must be mistaken.

"-Strap in," Nikolai's voice echoes through the helicopter as he gets ready to go. "I was told to hurry."

And so he does, lifting the helicopter off the ground with no hesitation.

The familiar sensation of takeoff ripples through my body, the turbulence of the storm outside felt even within the protective metal shell of the aircraft. Looking back at Spike's base, I think of Price, Soap, and Gaz inside. They'll finish it off here no problem, since most of it here was already handled.

As the helicopter ascends, the air around us grows smoother, the rush of adrenaline fading into a sense of anticipation. I steal a glance at Liam, his presence a surprising comfort in the midst of uncertainty.

Keegan's voice breaks the silence, his tone casual as he leans forward. "Liam, right? Didn't really manage to speak to you last time."

Liam nods, a hint of modesty in his expression. "Yeah. And you were Sergeant Russ if I'm not mistaken.."

"Keegan is fine," he nods, leaning back in his seat again as he tips his head. "Show me what you're worth..." he says, a smirk holding up in his eyes.

Leave it to Keegan to be intimidating.

König leans back, his gaze thoughtful. "Interesting how paths cross when they're needed most."

Alejandro smirks, his eyes dancing with mischief. "Never a dull moment, that's for sure."

I catch Ghost's gaze, his eyes holding a mixture of acknowledgment and resolve. It's a rare sight to see him in a more relaxed setting, especially during a mission, with his guard momentarily lowered.

As the helicopter continues its journey, the tension eases, replaced by a sense of camaraderie that transcends words. We're a team, each with our own stories and skills, brought together by a shared purpose.

Nik's voice crackles through the intercom, breaking the conversation. "Prepare for landing."

The familiar rush of excitement returns, my heart pounding as the helicopter begins to descend. My gaze shifts to the dirty window, catching a glimpse of the landscape below—the abandoned village where we had trained countless times.

But this time, it's different.

This time, we know that what lies here plays part in something that could ruin many lives. The village holds secrets, and as we prepare to drop into its familiar but treacherous terrain, a new chapter of our mission unfolds.