Chapter 2: Flirty or Nerdy?

As the week went by, Reggie made it very clear that he was interested in me, but the only thing I was interested in was running for my track team again. Without his help though.

 When we'd pass each other in the halls he would look me up and down and wink at me. When we were partnered up together in class he'd use the opportunity to slip in a pickup line. I didn't know if he just wanted to use me for sex, prove something to his friends, get a confidence boost or what. I wasn't going to be any part of it, though.

One time, we were sitting in tech together (they make everyone take it for a year in high school, don't ask why) and he took the empty seat next to me. I tried my very best to be civil with him while asking, "Why the hell did you decide to take the seat right next to mine when there are literally 30 empty chairs anywhere else?" 

Reggie smugly placed him arm around the back of my chair and replied, "You're smart little miss track star." He pulled out his phone. 

"Somethings up with my phone. Think you can fix it?" He grinned at me. 

I sighed heavily, rolled my eyes, and turned towards him slowly saying in defeat, "What's wrong with it?" 

He handed me his phone, leaned back with a cocky smirk plastered on his face while telling me, "Your number's not in it. Easy fix if you ask me." 

I stared him down, not breaking eye contact as I pocketed his phone, gathered my stuff, and sat down in the back of the class.  

Reggie gaped at me in disbelief. "Hey!" he started to yell. "That's my-" 

"Mr. Mantle, settle down please." Ms. Crawley, our tech teacher, chided. 

"But she-" 

"Save it for after class please. Now everybody take out the homework from last week."  

Reggie turned in his chair, giving me a dirty look as I smiled and waved at him with my fingers. He shook his head then faced back to the front. 

----------------------------

After class, Reggie came up to me with wide eyes and said, "Dude, that was not cool. I had nothing to do the entire class!" 

I raised an eyebrow and said sarcastically, "Oh, no! You had to actually pay attention in class for once! How terrible."  

He looked the other way and then faced me again. "Give me my phone back." 

I pushed my lips out and looked towards the ceiling, pretending to think. "Mmm, no thanks. You can get this back from me at the end of the day. It'll do you good to actually learn something, even for just a day!" 

He looked shocked as I started to walk away from him. He didn't stop me though. 

"Meet me at my locker after school! You can get it then! Toodles!" I called back as he stood there flabbergasted. 

----------------------------

The end of the day came sooner than I thought it would, and I leaned against my locker, waiting for Reggie to come get his phone. I tossed it up and caught it a couple times. I checked the time on his phone, seeing that it was already 3:45. School gets out at 3:30. What was taking him so long? 

I sighed and was about to get up and go home when I heard someone yell "WAIT!" 

I looked up and saw Reggie sprinting towards me. "Sorry I'm late, I was talking to Mr. Carly about our lesson in class today. Did you know how dark those poems are? Damn, it really hit me hard." He shook his head sadly. 

I lifted my brows, amused. "So, did you learn anything else today?" 

Reggie looked at me excitedly, "Yeah! I finally figured out how to know if a function is linear or non-linear! You just have to-" He cut off and looked at me suspiciously. 

"Wait a sec. You did this on purpose! How dare you make me learn stuff! Aw man, look at me! Now I'm a nerd! This is all your fault!" Reggie had his hands in his hair and was gesturing around to express his concern. 

I shrugged. "Do you know what literary devices are?" 

He opened his mouth to speak, thought for a second, then replied hesitantly, "No...?" 

I crossed my arms while asking, "Do you know what the continuum hypothesis is?" 

He slightly raised one eyebrow and said questioningly, "No?" 

I smiled and said matter-of-factly,"Then you're not a nerd. You're just not an idiot anymore." I grabbed his wrist opened his hand up, and smacked his phone down into it. He just looked at me like I'd told him he won the lottery.  

I gave him a look and then walked off to finally go home.