Chapter 5: The Fight.

Reg and I both let out the breath we were holding, and I grabbed Reggie's shirt, slipping it on while he got up to close the door.

His pants were crooked, exposing his hip bone near the waistband on one side. He didn't make a move to get a shirt back on, either.

He saw me putting on his white tee he'd discarded earlier and whined, "Hey, you don't needa put that on. We gotta finish what we started, babygirl."

I sighed then said slightly out of breath, "Well the thing is, Reggie, that I shouldn't be having sex with a guy I barely know, have no deep connection with, and have no feelings for. I'm sorry." I lied.

Hurt flickered on his face, but it was gone faster than Jason Blossom died. He replaced the look with one of fake confidence as he tried to convince me, "C'mon baby. I know you like me. I know you want me. And we can make a connection. A physical one." He smirked, walked over to me, and gently placed his hands on both my sides.

I raised my eyebrows. "You are not going to be the first guy I let inside of me. I was just... caught up in the moment."

I shrugged him off.

He took a couple steps back and chewed on his lip out of minor annoyance.

"I get it. You're a virgin."

I froze for a second. Why did he make it sound like such a bad thing? "I didn't mean-"

"Nah. It's cool," he said in a way that told me it most certainly was not cool.

He casually started picking up items around his room and inspecting them while continuing, "So. Is it like, a religious thing, or are you like a lesbian or something?"

I played with the hem of my skirt and mumbled, "Well I don't think I would've been all over you like that if I was a lesbian."

He kept turning the tiny trophy around in his hand, the displeasure in his voice becoming evident as he replied, "Okay then why?"

I stared down at my feet when I responded, "I guess I just haven't met anyone good enough."

"So you don't think I'm good enough for you then?" Reggie was facing me now.

I gave a pathetic shrug and became quite invested in the design of his carpet. I even noticed how there wasn't any dust on it.

He scoffed, rolling his eyes. "I see how it is. Just to let you know, I get more action in a day then you'll ever get because nobody wants to bang a virgin. So good luck trying to find someone "good enough" who'll wanna get it in with you." He made air quotes on the "good enough" and his voice raised a lot.

I'd say my walls of confidence were usually pretty good, and so was my self esteem, but in that particular moment, I felt small. Like one more blow and I'd be broken beyond repair.

I decided I could yell too. "I never said you weren't good enough, you self absorbed idiot!"

His back was to me, but when he realized I wasn't backing down he turned to face me and started, "Yeah, well-"

"Look. I know you didn't know that I existed before this year," my voice cracked, "but I've liked you for a long time. Since 7th grade, really. I idolized you and I think you're a pretty great guy. At least until your precious ego gets hurt. But I'm not going to have sex with anyone, including you, so you can find another girl to have a one night stand with but it's not going to be me. I'm not going to let you break me like that."

Reggie stood there, stunned. "Why?" was all he could muster.

"Why what? Why don't I want you to take me for one night then never speak to me again? Hmm I wonder. It's not like I've had actual feelings for you in the past that would make that a heartbreaking experience for me or anything." I said sarcastically.

"You're so-" he started yelling again.

"I'm so what? Petty? Annoying? Clingy? Yeah, I know, But I refuse to be one of those girls who gets used and gets attached to the guy when all he wanted was 7 minutes in heaven. And no offense Reggie, but you've done that to a lot of girls."

I left him speechless as I stood up and said, "I'm gonna go. My parents are probably worried."

I turned my back to him, taking only a few steps towards the door before he said hurriedly, "WAIT!"

Grabbing my shoulder, he turned me to face him right when a single tear decided to escape from my eye and trickle down my cheek. I swiftly brushed it away while trying to keep up the angry/upset act when I was really just sad and disappointed. Why was I crying? This is stupid.

I opened my mouth to say something, my eyes fluttering every which way only to avoid Reggie's. 

He looked at me with concern in his eyes when he said softly, "Hey, it's okay. I get it."  

And when I let even more tears loose despite my efforts, "No, no, really. I mean it. I'm sorry I got angry and yelled at you. I didn't mean any of that stuff. I'm just not used to being rejected and I took it-" 

"I'm sorry!" I cried. I jerked around and tried to run out of his room, but instead, Reggie spun me back around, wrapping his arms around me. 

Don't get me wrong, my family's pretty great. They just aren't very affectionate. So when Reggie embraced me with genuine care for me, I buried my face in his chest, but I didn't cry. 

Eventually, I put my arms around him too. We just stood near the door, embracing. 

"I won't break your hear," Reggie murmured into my ear. "And even if you're with someone else, I won't let him break your heart, either." 

I squeezed him tighter and said, "Thanks, Reg." 

I felt him smile on my neck, so I looked up at him, and he looked down at me. He caressed my head with his large hands and tenderly kissed me. We pressed our foreheads together after. 

"Who knew that Reggie Mantle had a soft spot?" I smiled innocently. 

He made a face at me, half smiling half scrunching up his nose in a "how dare you say that?" kinda way. Then he said, "Me? Who knew little miss "I hate everyone" had a soft spot?" 

I pretended to be offended at this remark, but then he caught my smile and whispered, "Only for you, babe."