Chapter 6: Turning Things Around

After making out for an eternity, Reggie placed his hands on my hips, so I rested my palms on his strong forearms. 

Letting out a soft laugh, I reminded him, "We haven't even been on a single date yet, Reggie. It feels wrong doing this." 

He processed my words then shot me a questioning look as he suggested, "Then maybe we should go on a date." He smiled down at me. 

A smile of my own was fighting its way onto my face when he proposed the idea. 

I pulled him closer to me, pretending to sigh and shake my head while feigning disinterest. "I dunno, Reggie. I'm a busy person." 

He looked so dejected and hurt I couldn't help but lock him in another embrace while saying, "I was only kidding. When, where, and how long?" 

I felt him stand up taller and could practically see that smug look on his face. He replied with his usual gusto, "Speakeasy, tomorrow, 6-9, then we could go back to my place. If that's cool." 

I pulled back enough so he could see my face when I nodded. "Sounds good." 

We smiled at each other for a while, just gazing into one another's eyes. The world seemed to move in slow motion around us. 

The squeak and slam of the front door opening downstairs broke our connection. I blinked. 

"I should probably get going now. We have that math test coming up, and I still don't know how to find the Focus and Derectrix of a parabola. Not that I'll ever really need it." I shrugged, doing my best to hide and tuck away my disappointment. 

Reggie didn't attempt to shield his obvious feelings from m words when he whined desperately, "Noooo, you weren't even here that long, babe. C'mon, you need more time with the king. The man of all men. We can figure out parabolies together!" 

He took my hands in his, giving me puppy dog eyes. 

I laughed and said kindly, "Reggie, hon, you mean parabola? I get that you're all manly or whatever-" his face dropped a little, so I added, "I mean, look at those muscles." That earned a smile, a head nod, and a not-so-subtle flex under my hands. "My parents really will be worried, though. Especially when I come home past curfew when I didn't go straight home after school let out." 

He pouted, swinging our hands back and forth. "Fineee. Text me when you get home though. And tomorrow. And the next day. And-" 

"Reggie. Calm down. I'll see you tomorrow at school, and after school, remember? Now let me put my number in your phone." I smiled at him. 

He frowned as he handed me his phone. While I was typing, he mumbled, "Can't you just stay over?" 

I handed back the device and reiterated what I'd said earlier. "Reg. We haven't even gone out yet. We've only been talking for a week. And even then, it wasn't exactly all pleasant conversation." I raised an eyebrow.. 

"I knowww," he groaned. "But you've liked me forever! And I've like you for half of forever!" 

I laughed. This man has more personality than I ever thought he could. Opening his bedroom door, I said with finality, "Bye, Reg." 

He quickly stood up and said eagerly, "I can drive you home!" 

"No, I'm fine. I can just-" 

"You're still stoned. Let's go!" He snatched the keys off his nightstand, tossing them up and catching them. 

He rejoined our hands, practically bounding down the stairs and skipping to the car. 

Once we were there, he hurried to the door of passenger's seat and opened it for me, bowing over, sweeping his hand out and saying with poise, "Future Mrs. Mantle." 

I rolled my eyes, but he knew I was entertained by the half smile plastered on my face. "Thank you, future husband," I said mockingly. 

"You'll see!" he cheerfully said, pecking me on the check before shutting my door.  

I shook my head and laughed. Nobody has brought me this far out of my shell in a long time. 

It's like after our fight, he completely softened me up. I must just have a soft spot for him after crushing for so long.  

I let my thought on the matter run wild while he drove me home. Maybe that was also why I'd let him do and say so many things I wouldn't normally let a guy I'd only known for a week do to me. 

The thing is, I'd actually known him longer than that. I just didn't know know him. I would make up fake scenarios about him asking me to dances with big grand gestures, holding my hand in the halls from about 7th through half of 10th grade, but that was it. That wasn't really him. That was what my imagination wanted him to be.  

I almost laughed out loud at the thought of him chasing me now instead of me chasing him. He's so much more than I thought he was. He's everything I've ever wanted. 

As we rode back to my house, I grinned like an idiot thinking about the way Reggie's hand was intertwined with mine and how they were resting in my lap while he steered single-handed. One of my old fantasies finally came true. I wondered what else was in store for me.