Chapter 5

December 23, 20XX

It was now the week of Christmas and things, once again, seemed to have gone back to normal.

At the current moment, Jonathan Dennis was doing two things. The first was heating up the oven to make dinner for himself, since he had the house to himself again. The other being texting his friends, although it was mostly just Kyle.

"Did you get any sleep at all?" Kyle's text asked.

Jonathan chuckled and typed back, "nope, I've been up ever since we started our gaming session yesterday."

Kyle's next response made Jonathan laugh even more. It was just the facepalm emoji.

"I'll get some sleep after I eat." Jonathan texted back.

The two friends continued to text back and forth for a while, as Jonathan put his food in the oven. The next text caught Jon's attention.

"Did you get any packages today?" Kyle's text said.

Jonathan quickly thought before texting back, "no, why?"

What was said next surprised Jonathan. Kyle mentioned that he had gotten everyone, or at least those who were still alive, Christmas gifts and apparently everyone else had gotten their's today.

"I'll go check..." Jonathan texted his friend, now being somewhat excited about the possibility of a gift waiting for him outside.

After their text exchange, Jonathan would heads towards his front door. Once there, he'd look outside to try and see if there were any packages out there. There wasn't.

This confused Jonathan. However, he decided to check out in the mailbox, in case it was placed inside there. Right before Jonathan went out, he made sure to close the behind him.

Upon approaching the mailbox, Jonathan opened it and looked inside. It was empty. A small size escaped Jonathan's mouth as he shut the door on the mailbox before heading back to his house. As Jonathan stepped up onto his porch, he pulled his phone out and got ready to text kyle, to tell him about the package not being there. He did that without even noticing that his front door was a slightly ajar.

As Jonathan re-entered his house, he closed the door behind him and first checked the timer on the oven. After doing that, he pulled his phone back out and texted Kyle.

"There wasn't anything outside..."

Jonathan had sent the text and put his phone away as something soon caught his eyes. It was a box sitting on the dining room table.

Slowly approaching the table, Jonathan read the name on the box and saw that it was his name. This must've been the package that Kyle was referring to. The thing he didn't understand though, was how it got inside. However, Jonathan quickly chalked it up to having been brought in by his parents earlier in the day.

Jonathan would begin to open the box, his eyes widening after being able to see the contents of the box. It was a new gaming headset and a couple games, as well.

Having removed the stuff from the box, Jonathan would take the time to admire the headset and games that his friend, Kyle, had gotten him. As he did that, the power to his house went off.

Sighing, Jonathan grabbed his phone and turned on the flashlight before heading down the basement steps. Once he reached the breaker box, Jonathan noticed that a few of the switches were flipped. He found it a little odd but didn't think much into it.

When the Power came back upstairs and headed into the kitchen, wanting to check on his food, since the power had been knocked out. With a quick inspection, Jonathan pulled his food out to let it cool off, and while it did that, he went back to looking at his gifts.

As Jonathan continued admire and look at his gifts, his cell phone started ringing.

Without looking at the Caller ID, Jonathan quickly swiped answer. He had done this because he assumed that the caller was Kyle, due to them having been texting for most of the night. However, he was going to quickly find out he was wrong.

"Hey Kyle, I did get the stuff..." Jonathan began to say before he was interrupted by the person on the other end of the line.

"Hello Jonathan~"

Jonathan became confused and looked at the Caller ID and saw that it wasn't Kyle.

"Oh sorry I thought you were one of my friends... uh, who is this?" Jonathan asked, not seeming to realize that the person on the other line was Ghostface.

Ghostface ignored his question, "those sure are some nice gifts you got~ a headset and some games, right~?"

"How did you know that?" Jonathan asked, raising a brow even though the caller couldn't see it.

Ghostface chuckled, "who do you think brought the box in~?"

Jonathan felt his stomach turn at that statement. He seemed to remember that his door was slightly open after checking the mailbox.

That statement caused Jonathan to begin checking his house, just in case someone was in there. His silence, this whole time, however, didn't go unnoticed by Ghostface, who was still on the phone.

"Are you scared, Jonathan~" Ghostface asked and then chuckled.

"N-no I'm not!" Jonathan said with a stutter.

Jonathan continued to look around his house, just in case there really was someone in his house. However, after a few extra moments of searching, he didn't find anyone, so he went back downstairs and to the dining room, where his gifts and food had been left.

"It's nice to see that you have the power back on, Jonathan~" Ghostface said chuckling

"Hey, how did you know that my power went off?" Jonathan asked, becoming even more nervous now.

Ghostface chuckled, "Who do you think flipped the breaker~"

"I... I don't believe you!" Jonathan stuttered.

As he remained on the phone with Ghostface, Jonathan walked to his front door and locked it.

"Deep down, you know you're scared, don't you Jonathan~?" Ghostface said with another chuckle.

"Fuck you! Leave me alone!" Jonathan shouted into the phone.

It was clear that he was now frazzled and panicking at the fact that this person, whoever it was, was messing with him.

Ghostface growled, "You're going to regret talking to me like that, you fucking dick~"

The line soon went dead. Jonathan was now a bit more nervous and he began to look out of the window on the front door.

Jonathan couldn't see anything outside, however he did see his reflection in the window's glass. He quickly realized that his reflection wasn't the only one, either.

Quickly spinning around, Jonathan saw someone standing there with a black cloak and a white ghost-like mask. It was obviously Ghostface.

Doing the first thing that came to mind, Jonathan chucked his cell phone towards the masked intruder, but they quickly dodged it.

Ghostface made a quick lunge towards Jonathan, trapping him against the door as they proceeded to stab him over and over again.

Jonathan cried out as he was being stabbed over and over again. He tried to fight back but there was no use. And then, Ghostface dealt the final blow with a stab to his neck and throat.

After that, Jonathan tried to apply pressure to his bleeding wounds, especially the one on his neck but his body soon gave out and he collapsed to the floor, dead. Ghostface did what they did best, they wiped their knife blade and fled the scene.

~~~

Oh no poor Jonathan! I wonder what is gonna happen next! We hope you enjoyed this chapter and we will see you in the next chapter :3