Chapter 3.2

[Kaveh's PoV]

After making sure that everyone got away safely, I went back inside.

"So, what do you want me to do?" I asked immediately after I went back and spotted him standing at the door

"You heard me earlier. I want you to take Haypasia and send her to me"

After I heard his story, I had guessed that this will be the intention he planned all along. He didn't need the Grand Sage's cooperation in the first place, he just use him as a bridge to get me to work with him and eventually played the Sumeru City in his hands

"Aren't you just being obsessed with her or something?" I mockingly asked in response

"The Balladeer has already awakened and viewed her as his first follower. But as for me, she is nothing but a threat to him becoming a god. A mortal who witnessed the past of a divine being couldn't possibly be left alive, don't you think so?" he crossed his arms and rested his back on the wall

"So, you're planning on killing her" That's not even a question for him, but rather a statement after realizing his intention

"Hmm... I probably wouldn't... My initial plan was to send her off to Snezhnaya with me and use her for an experiment since I was curious how she tried to connect her consciousness with Irminsul..."

"You said she's under care with someone. I can't easily take her"

If Tighnari would dare go against Dottore just to keep Haypasia away from him then that would mean that he has the duty to protect her safety. I don't know the details and the full story between Haypasia and the Balladeer but I trust Tighnari's decision - If he's sided with Haypasia then Dottore and the Balladeer are the ones we should be wary about

"Oh, you mean Tighnari? Well, since he's a stranger to you, just kill him and take Haypasia. Simple as that"

This asshole.

"I can't do that" I flatly stated

"Haha, I expected you would say that. First, you lied about not knowing Tighnari. Do you think I wouldn't know? I did my research well before selecting you" he fixed his posture

I started getting nervous seeing as how his attitude shifted in an instant.

"Have you forgotten the first thing I asked when we met?"

If I remembered correctly, he asked if I'm the one who designed the Palace of Alcazarzaray

"The renowned architect in Sumeru... one of the most high-profile figures in the industry. You sure influenced a lot of people, haven't you? seeing as how those captives reacted when they see you... you indeed were popular"

I am just standing in front of him, wary of my reactions to every word he speaks.

"Also, I mentioned earlier that you were living with someone, right? I've heard that your roommate is the Akademiya Scribe. Hmm... let me recall his name... Alhaitham, was it?"

Shit.

No. Don't involve Alhaitham in this.

"I was planning on proceeding to this project alone but I couldn't find the perfect timing since Haypasia got herself involved so I have to recreate my plans and think thoroughly about how would i want it to play. It just happens that the General Mahamatra has found out something from investigating and decided to betray the Akademiya, then he proceeded to team up with the desert folks with the Akademiya Scribe last week to continue further the investigation"

"That was the perfect timing I was waiting all this time - the core power of Sumeru has been eliminated with the play and all I have to do is to have someone with me to influence the people here in Sumeru City and that's when I nominated you for the role. It's been a week and they are probably done with their mission. It will be just a race of time until they catch up to me"

"If I can't take Haypasia to Snezhnaya, I'll take you instead" he added

I tried acting tough all this time and even manage to mock him off but now that he revealed his true intentions, I can't even utter a word against him

I felt so weak and powerless.

I couldn't even think of anything to get away from this situation.

I am scared.

I cleared my throat and tried speaking in a low voice to hide my nervousness "... And what benefit you could even get from me?"

"Hmm... Now that you mentioned it, I haven't thought about what benefit I could get from you. As I told you earlier, my initial plan is to take Haypasia, so if I couldn't do that, I'll just return alone. I planned to just use you as a pawn to keep out Tighnari, General Mahamatra, and the Scribe from working together. However, throughout the time I held you captive, I've taken fondness in your attitude and I just decided just now that I'll take you to Snezhnaya with me. That's all to it"

"I refuse"

He annoyingly chuckled "As if you have a choice"

I know I have no option but to just go along with him. He'll do whatever he wants once he decided to. I have to compose myself and think of something. As he said earlier, Alhaitham and Cyno are on a mission so I can't easily rely on them. It's just a matter of time before they can catch up to him...

Wait.

Catch up to him?

Does it mean that Alhaitham and Cyno's group is going after him?

And it's a matter of time... That's it!

I faked a laugh and calmly spoke "Well, I'm just an Architect, after all. I have no control over things from happening. Even though I refused and fight you head-on right now, I couldn't possibly win against you and will only let myself get hurt. So, as long as you'll keep me safe, then I'll let things be"

"Oh?" he put his hand under his chin, carefully looking at me

"I have conditions, though... Aside from my safety, of course, I'll ask for shelter, clothes, and food... mora too if possible. Hmm... also, if I can work on a project in Snezhnaya, that would be great too... and uhm-"

"You do not need to worry about such trivial things. Once we get there, you can request everything you want from me"

That sounds so sweet if it wasn't just coming from him.

Since he mentioned taking a fondness of my attitude, even calling me a beautiful man... I could take advantage of that in this situation

I shrugged my shoulders off like what he said isn't a big deal to me "Hmm... okay, when will we leave?" I asked and started walking towards the room we came from

I heard his footsteps following me from behind "Tuesday... at night"

That's 3 days from now.

I just have to stall time before they arrive. I trust them both, I'm pretty sure they will make it

I'm hoping to see you soon.