CHAPTER 3. - FIRE ASHES

JANES POV
I heard my cabin door open, It was a ginger girl. I pretended to not see her, not in the mood to talk with anyone. This camp gave me weird vibes and I hated it. I continued flipping through my comic. This is the most bored I've been in my whole. Life. UGH! I wanted to scream. but then I heard a counselor whistle. It was already dark? Jeez how long had I been in here, I got off my bed and so did my bunk-mate. Then we did that awkward thing where you both go to the door and awkwardly try to go through like your both say: 'oh after you!' Then try to go. Yeah we did that but then I let her go through first. Closing the door tightly as I walked through. We walked to the campfire where the counselors stood. We all gathered around. " Attention campers! Welcome to summer-camp. I'm Heather, the counselor of cabin 2. I hope you've all had enough time to socialize and now it is time for some introductions! Please form a circle around the campfire. The circle was a little big— I guess? I mean, some people didn't even bother coming to the fire. I zoned out as everyone else introduced themselves. But I snapped back just as it got to the ginger girl from my cabin. I looked at her and her ocean blue eyes sparkled— or maybe it was just the fires reflection. " uhm— hey. My name is Max Mayfield and I'm 15–? " she said. Her voice was raspy and a little dark. She was, cool. Then a few others introduced themselves as I just watched her, she sat with her arms crossed, and a Walkman around her neck. It got to me and I spoke a little fast. " hello, I'm Jane Hopper and I'm 15 years old.! " jeez I hate introducing myself— maybe because I'm not the coolest person? At least in my eyes. I looked over and saw Will and mike laughing together. Huh, what was that about? Mike almost hadn't talked to Will all summer. But hey, maybe they're just catching up. I sat in great boredom as everyone introduced themselves. Finally it was done and then we were allowed to do s'mores or go back to the cabin. Heather and the other counselors left except for Steve and Robin. Dustin went over and talked to Steve. Mike, Lucas, and Will talked and made s'mores. Mikes marshmallow was burnt— he liked them like that and I think it's nasty. I like golden ones. I took a stick and stuck my marshmallow on it, paitently roasting my marshmallow so it got the perfect gold color. I went to robin when I finished and she helped me get chocolate and graham crackers. I started munching on my s'more while I watched the girl, Max? I think that's what her name was. I almost got lost in her eyes— no. I can't do that, I'm in love with Mike. Right?..