Aptitude Test

Coraline's P.O.V.

I was born in Candor. Everything my family believed in was honesty. I didn't want to tell the truth all the time. The truth can hurt people, and I didn't want to hurt those close to me. I wanted to get out.

As I walked to school, my black boots adding to the already loud atmosphere, my heart pounded. Today was the aptitude test. The aptitude test told us whatever faction is most suitable for us.

Candor. Candor valued the honesty in others. They wore black and white, symbolising that they held no secrets.

Dauntless. Dauntless valued bravery. They wore all black, showing that they moved through the shadows with skill.

Erudite. Erudite valued intelligence. They wore blue. Their manifesto justifies the color as a way of calming the mind.

Amity. Amity valued peace and harmony. They wore red and yellow, though they are dictated to wear only a certain amount of the colors.

Abnegation. Abnegation valued selflessness. They wore gray as to not stand out, and their only accessory allowed is a plain watch.

Factionless. The Factionless don't have to value anything. They come from the five factions. The way to become Factionless is to fail the initiation or, in Dauntless, become old. The Factionless wore all colors.

I honestly didn't care which faction I belonged to. As long as I could find a way to escape from Candor, I would change my lifestyle.

~~~

"This isn't possible." My test instructor whispered.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Y-Your....."

He slipped out of the room, and I was left alone. I glanced at the mirror to my left. I imagined tattoos on my neck and face, the only two places of skin exposed on me. I could see myself in Abnegation due to my hatred of exposing my pale skin. Many have told me I'm as smart as the Erudite. Others have said I'm as kind as the Amity.

My instructor returned, grabbed my wrist with brute strength, and dragged me to the back door. Did I mention he was from Dauntless? A tattoo of a bird crawled up the side of his face.

"You're Divergent. Don't let anyone know. Don't go to Erudite. Hide among one of the other factions." He barked.

He shoved me out of the door, and I ran from the school. I had read about Divergents in a school text book. They were said to have attributes from more than two of the factions. Many thought they were dangerous.

How could I be Divergent?