Training Starts

Cora's P.O.V.

The Dauntless never really communicated with the other factions, and I could tell why. Everything apart of the Dauntless compound was underground. I stayed silent as the group of initiates followed Lauren and Four. We stopped at a fork in the hallway.

"Dauntless-born, follow Four. You don't need a tour." Lauren ordered.

Riley smiled and waved at me before he went with the rest of the Dauntless-born initiates.

"What's it like being in Candor?" The Erudite girl from earlier asked.

"We tell the truth all the time. That's about it." I answered.

"Really? You have a boring faction."

"All you do is read books."

"It helps us get smarter! I'm Lilly. My full name is Lilliana, but since I'm here, Lilliana sounds strange." She held her hand out to me.

"Cora." I answered, shaking her hand.

"Cora? Oh! Coraline Redder! You glared at your parents!"

"You're an observant one, aren't you?"

"Candor! Erudite!" Lauren snapped. "Keep your mouths shut and follow me!"

I noticed that most of the other transfers were from Amity. There were a few other Candor and Erudite kids, and I saw at least two Abnegation boys.

"Lauren seems scary." Lilly whispered.

"Riley didn't tell me about her. I don't think there's anything to worry about." I told her.

"Riley?"

"Dauntless-born."

"Oh."

~~~

"If you're going to make it here in Dauntless, shooting a gun is the most important thing." Four yelled.

Both groups of initiates were being taught by Four today. He had mentioned that Lauren was sick, so now we were in the training room.

"Cora!" Riley yelled when Four dismissed us to get our guns.

"Hey, Riley." I smiled.

Lilly blushed when she saw him. I had to admit that I didnt blame her. Riley had on a tight black shirt. His muscles were visible, and the smile on his face lit up his eyes.

"Riley, this is Lilly. She's from Erudite." I said, motioning to Lilly.

"Hey. A few of us are going to sneak in here at night and mess around. Are you two in?" Riley asked, his voice quiet.

"Sure." Lilly smiled.

"I guess I'm in. I don't want some Nose showing me up." I said.

"Nose?" Lilly muttered.

"You know Dauntless slang?" Riley asked.

"I had a few Dauntless friends during school." I explained.

~~~

"Riley! Cora! Up on the platform!" Four ordered.

Riley and I had been the best shots. We looked at each other before we stepped up onto the fighting platform.

"Fight." Four snapped.

"What the hell? I'm not fighting her!" Riley yelled. "I'll beat her to a pulp!"

I lunged at him and pinned him to the floor. He stared at me, his eyes wide with surprise. I punched him hard in the faw, and he coughed up blood. I punched him again and again until Four pulled me off of him. Riley's face was a bloody mess when I looked at him.

"Luke! Marley! Take him to the infirmary!" Four ordered.

A girl and a boy grabbed Riley by his arms, lifted him up, and dragged him away. Lilly had her hands over her mouth and tears in her eyes when I looked at her. Four grabbed me by my arm and shoved me away from the others.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" He barked.

"You wanted us to fight!" I answered.

"That doesn't mean beat the living shit out of him!"

"That's what Eric would've wanted, isn't it? If Lauren wasn't the instructor this year, Eric would be here! He would yell at us if we didn't beat the hell out of each other!"

"How the hell do you know that?"

"I was in Erudite until I was six years old! My parents died when I was three, so when my sister transferred, she was forced to take me with her!"

"You were Erudite?"

"Yes! I read thousands of books on Dauntless! The old manifesto said we honor bravery! The readvised one sent out a few years ago says that we honor brutality!"

He ran his hand through his short hair. He looked at me, anger and pain in his eyes, and he reached his hand out. I slapped it away when he almost touched my hair.

"You dyed your hair." He muttered.

"Blue for my parents. White for my sister." I said simply.

I walked away from him.