Rankings

Tobias's P.O.V.

All of the initiates were gathered in the training room. Lauren stood in front of them at the electronic ranking board. I was standing a foot away from her.

"You all did a fair job at the first part of initiation. Knives and guns will be a key part here in Dauntless. On this board, you will see where you stand now that the first part of training is over." Lauren said.

Riley smacked Cora in the back of her head. She easily elbowed him in the ribs. Lilly giggled at their childish behavior. Lauren pressed a button and turned the electronic ranking board on. Cora was placed first, and Riley was second. Lilly was 17, falling under the red line. There were only 25 initiates this year.

"Those of you under the red line are in danger of being kicked out of Dauntless. The bottom two will be leaving later today. Make sure your name is above the red line by the time the second training session is over. When the two weeks are up, we will be sending the bottom two home." Lauren explained.

I picked up a knife from the table beside me and threw it at Cora. She wasn't even looking, and she caught it easily. She looked at me and threw it to the side. It hit the head of the practice target. The Dauntless-born initiates muttered and looked at her.

"You all need to learn from Cora. She has the deadly accuracy Dauntless is looking for." Lauren said.

~~~

I watched Cora closely as she picked up a gun. She checked the magazine to make sure it was filled with ammo, and she loaded the gun after she slid the magazine back in. She stood with her feet apart, aimed the gun at the target, and pulled the trigger. Her stance didn't waver at all as the bullet left the barrel of the gun. The loud bang made several of the other initiates cover their ears.

Cora lowered the gun. "Stance is everything when it comes to holding and firing a gun."

"Not exactly right, but you do have a point. Stance isn't everything, but it is important. If you were in a life or death situation, your emotion affects your capability with a gun. If you're frightened or upset, you become shakey, and you're aim becomes off because of it. If you maintain a stable and calm emotion during that kind of situation, you won't miss." I said.

Lauren took the gun from Cora and handed her a few knives. Cora did a similar stance to the one she did while holding the gun, pointed the knife at the target and squinted an eye to aim, pulled her arm back, and flung the knife forward. It pierced the board in the exact same spot the bullet hit.

~~~

"Which one is the best this year?"

"A Candor girl. She doesn't seem to feel any emotions, yet she has the best aim and reflexes out of them all."

Tris nodded once. Uriah and Christina sat beside her. Will, Zeke, Lauren, and Tori sat with us. We were at dinner. The initiates ate at a table not far away. I looked over at them to make sure they didn't so anything stupid.

I was way off.

Cora and Riley stood on top of one of the tables. Many of the other Dauntless members were staring at them. Riley crouched down and put his hands together. Cora put her foot in his hands, laid her hand on his shoulder, and looked up at the dining hall's ceiling. I looked at what she was glancing at to find a knife pinning a black wrist band to the ceiling. Riley launched her up into the air.

A lot of the women got up and scrambled over to catch her. Cora easily grabbed onto the knife, planted her feet on the ceiling and yanked the knife out of the cement. She grabbed the wrist band as she started falling.

"Cora!" Lauren screamed.

Cora seemed to hear her. She flipped over and waved at us. Riley jumped and caught her. He tucked her into his body and rolled across the floor. They were both laughing by the time they stopped rolling.

"You two are idiots!" Lauren growled.

We both got up and walked over to them. My heart throbbed when I saw Cora's smile. It had been one of the only times I had ever seen her show emotion.

"Riley, what the hell were you thinking? She's a transfer!" I snapped.

"Oh, come on! She's the best initiate we got! I wouldn't have done it unless she wanted to! She clearly enjoyed the adrenaline rush!" Riley answered.

Cora rolled to her feet, color rushing to her face. She looked at Lauren, who seemed to be praising her rather than scolding her. The excitement in her eyes told me everything.

"Lauren!" I said.

"Yeah?" She answered, looking at me.

"Ask Max what he thought about their little stunt. Maybe he'll even let Cora train with the Dauntless-born." I said.

She nodded once and ran off. I looked at Cora. She was staring at the wrist band. She looked at me when I stood in front of her.

"Any reason as to why you risked your life for that?" I asked.

"No."