Wattpad Original
There are 25 more free parts

Chapter 3: Admirers And Jealousy

Kenric and sleep were not the closest of friends. Far from it. He was feeling the brunt of the restless nights spent at the border during the meeting with the council. Not just that, but he was tired after his activities with Archie too.

If there was anything that Kenric knew, it was how to put on a strong face and not let anybody know what he was thinking or feeling. So that was what he did, even though he was too exhausted to participate in the discussion as enthusiastically as he normally would. He pitched in occasionally, and it felt like the meeting went on forever.

Finally, when it was over, all he wanted was to head to his chambers, or maybe sneak into Archie's and pass out for the night. Ah, sleeping with Archie in his arms sounded heavenly.

But the King had other plans.

"Kenric," Godric called out, making the prince stop in his tracks as the other men exited the hall one by one. "Stay here for a moment, would you?"

"Of course," Kenric muttered, rubbing his temple as he sighed. Once all the council members had left and closed the door shut behind them, Godric spoke up again.

"I heard Archie accompanied Sir Christian and Sir Arlo in investigating the cattle deaths down south," Godric paused. "Is he okay?"

"He is, he is," Kenric answered with a nod. "He should not have gone on a quest in the first place. At least not without me, but he came back unharmed and that is what matters."

"He is fit. Young and strong," Godric stated, making Kenric narrow his eyes slightly at his brother, suspicious of what he was implying. "Has he ever thought of joining the ranks?"

"He does not wish to," Kenric said without wasting a single second. "I have brought it up with him. He is content with his job in the stables and is not interested in being a soldier."

Kenric was glad about this, too. The last thing he wanted on the battlefield was to have to worry about his lover getting hurt. Or worse, killed. He would not be able to focus, and that would put not just his but the lives of his soldiers in danger too.

"I see," Godric continued. "Why did he go with the knights, then?"

"Who knows? Maybe he was getting bored in the castle and wanted a change of scenery," Kenric lied. He could not tell Godric the truth.

For one, Godric would not be happy that Kenric told Archie about the poison chalice and the curse. Moreover, Kenric had promised that he would not try to find a cure for his brother. He had never intended on keeping the promise, but Godric did not need to know that either.

"Right," Godric hummed. Maybe not quite buying what Kenric was attempting to sell. "James missed him, he has taken quite a liking to Archie."

"I hope that is not a problem," Kenric said carefully. He knew how Godric felt about the servants interacting with the nobility.

"Not at all," Godric replied. "It can be rather lonely being the heir. I am glad to see James has somebody he is comfortable being around. Archie is a good influence on him."

"Oh?" Kenric rose a brow.

"Indeed," Godric spoke. There was silence between the brothers for a brief moment until Godric broke it. "It pleases me that we are able to...talk again, Kenric."

Kenric stared at the king, his jaw clenched tightly at Godric's audacity to bring up what he did. He still had not forgiven Godric for punishing Archie, even though Archie had tried to help him see how Godric had no other choice. But still, to Kenric that did not matter in the slightest. Archie was above his duty for him.

At the same time, his feelings were contradicted by the harrowing fact that he may lose his brother in a short few years. And that he may not be able to save him. If that were to be the case, Kenric did not want there to be any bad blood between them. Not for his sake, he could hold a grudge for life, but for Godric's.