Chapter 45: In the Archives

In the Astral Lighthouse’s archives, two pitch-black gems the size of half a person floated in midair, emitting a faint chill.

Although William had been hiding in the shadows with Walking Shadow, he got into trouble when he entered the archives.

He never expected the guardian to be a Shadow Soul. As he strolled along the shadows cast by the rows of bookshelves, he bumped into two pitch-black shadows who were patrolling in the shadows around the corner.

The two pitch-black, deformed figures and the shadowy William looked at each other for a few seconds. In a daze, William felt as if a green exclamation mark had jumped out of his head.

Before the two Shadow Souls sounded the alarm, he threw out two spinning illusory ring blades to imprison them.

Fortunately, I reacted quickly.

William wiped the nonexistent sweat on his forehead and muttered to himself.

Otherwise, he needed to use Peerless Stealth.

If he hadn’t discovered that this Astral Lighthouse was essentially a Moon Realm rift, he might not have felt any psychological pressure when he turned peerless here.

It didn’t matter if the tower was destroyed if they fought. In any case, he had long made up his mind to uproot all the Astral Lighthouses on the continent. It didn’t matter if it happened sooner or later.

However, even he couldn’t estimate what would happen if he destroyed the tower without making any preparations.

Perhaps he would find the Moon Realm portal slapping him in the face?

Thankfully, the spell-Shadow Cage-that imprisoned the two Shadow Souls lasted long enough. It probably wouldn’t remove itself even after he finished viewing the entire tower.

After applying another layer of illusion disguise over the Shadow Cage, William walked to the next row of archive racks and checked.

Most of the files here contained the personal information of registered mages. These things were very valuable after he took over Thorn City, but they were of no help to him now.

As he walked, he flipped through them. This took him about ten minutes before he finally arrived at the last row of the archive shelves.

“Regarding the activity distribution of the Moon Realm parishes and underground organizations in the Blackwater Province?”

William read the annotations on the archive shelf and became intrigued. He reached out and prepared to pull out the documents to take a look.

However, a floating magic halo blocked his hand.

“Eh?”

William was slightly surprised. He was still in the illusory state of Walking Shadow. Ordinary defensive barriers shouldn’t be able to stop him.

Moreover, it was a relatively high-level defensive barrier?

William took out an appraisal scroll from his spatial rift and pasted it in front of the archive shelf. As the scroll burst into a faint blue flame before turning to ashes, a message appeared in his mind.

“It has a self-destruct function?”

According to the information from the appraisal scroll, if he cracked the barrier by force, it would incinerate the files within.

This was a spell that didn’t exist in his era. It was probably developed later due to the need for confidentiality.

This troubled William.