Chapter 69: About Faith

Thorn City had a total of eight churches of the Holy Spirits Church. This was the same configuration as most large cities. Every parish of the Eight Holy Spirits had one.

The Holy Spirits Church wasn't just a place that was in charge of satisfying the people's faith needs. A considerable portion of the municipal functions was handled by the different churches of the Church.

For example, the Funeral Church of the Seventh Holy Spirit, the Dead, was in charge of the requiem, cremation, sacrifice, and related work for the dead. As for where ghosts usually appeared or where an undead suddenly appeared in an ancient grave in the nearby countryside, it was usually handled by the Funeral Church's Requiem Soul Masters. Of course, they would also collect the corresponding fees.

However, the situation in Thorn City was different. Duke Simon had expressed his determination to suppress the Holy Spirits Church almost from the moment he rejected the coronation of the bishop of the First Order during his nobility ceremony.

In his more than 20 years of rule, he had driven almost all the factions of the Holy Spirits Church out of the Blackwater Province. To this day, only two churches in Thorn City were barely maintained.

William headed to one of them, the Kane Church, which symbolized the Eighth Holy Spirit.

William felt a headache when he thought of this name.

Just as one could obtain the authority of Oka or Vera through the King and Rebel ritual, in theory, one could also obtain all the mythical Holy Spirits' authority other than the Void Sovereigns, through the corresponding mirroring rituals.

Of course, the process of mirroring the level of a Holy Spirit was countless times more complicated than mirroring normal local myths. Moreover, the resources required were countless times more terrifying.

The Holy Spirits Church had tried this in the past. For this reason, they basically squandered all the wealth the Church had accumulated since the first year of the Platinum Calendar. Later on, they even squeezed out every bit from the secular regime, ultimately causing the Church's influence to plummet, directly causing the end of the Platinum Calendar Era and the rise of the Seven Nations Era.

Then, what was the outcome of paying such a huge price and washing so many resources down the drain?

The answer was the appearance of the Seven Calamities.

No one could maintain their human personality after being baptized by the prototype powers of creation.

The main body of the ritual, the mortals whose brains had burgeoned from the vast Holy Spirit wills, vented their strength crazily. They instinctively wanted to transform the world into something that only symbolized their rules.

Currere was built on the delicate balance of the various elementals, and having too much of one would turn harmful.

As the power of the Holy Spirits directly affected the rules that built the world, in terms of pure destructive power, the disaster was even more serious than the Moon Realm's invasion.

The Eighth Holy Spirit worship that had appeared in the past thousand years, especially the act of binding the target of worship to a specific individual, was more or less mirroring the actions of the Holy Spirit in William's eyes.

It was the formulation of a myth's prototype before injecting motivation through personality faith.

As well as the main body of the ritual that drove one crazy.

At the very least, the holy signs triggered by the Kane Horn incident had proven that the Eighth Holy Spirit was currently active to a certain extent. It wasn't like the other seven Holy Spirits who had settled into the rules of Currere.