Angel Skin

Dear Jesus,

"Pray for me, girls, so I won't barf up my breakfast all over the instructor," I said as I tied up the laces of my brown, low-heeled boots.

To be honest, I was more than nervous. After all that transpired the night before, I was still a little jittery, though my quiet time with you had helped to calm my nerves.

Apparently, our curriculum had undergone a major review and, instead of beginning this session with lectures as usual, we were to start with our clinical tour.

From what Shelly posted on our class hangout space, we will each be assigned to an instructor who would supervise all our practical work throughout the semester.

And from the tales our seniors had told us about clinical tours, that was where you got free access to see hideous bodily diseases and cadavers of dead people. I wasn't exactly looking forward to that.

"Don't worry," Portia said with a devious smirk. "We'll prepare special intestinal pepper soup for you when you return."

I gave her a stink eye.

Her hair was a tangled nest. It was a wonder that she was looking so bright this morning considering what we'd been through overnight.

I picked the nearest pillow on the couch and stoned her with it. She dodged it.

"That's not nice, Portia. You should know better than to pester your cuz. She's as uptight as she can be about her practical posting as she is," Kathy chided as she took Portia's spare headset and wore it.
Always my defender and princess in shining armour.

Kathy returned her focus to the video tutorials of her architecture design software, AutoCAD.

"Leave her alone. Her own time is coming and I'll tease her this same way," I chimed. "After all, she is studying microbiology."

"Ha! Defensive much?" Portia lolled.

I raised a brow in her direction as I brushed the edges of my freshly made cornrows, thanks to Priscilla's ingenuity after I was done bathing.

"You should be grateful I love you and that Jesus does too, Portia. If not, I'd have done a makeover for you with that green goop during the night."

Portia made a disgusted sound. "Ew, please don't talk about it."

Pris came out of the bathroom and shook her head as she mopped droplets of water off her body.

Portia took that as her cue to go brush her teeth.

"You guys are still stuck with your banter," Pris said.
She turned to me and looked at me quizzically. "You're speedy today. Isn't it too early for you to head out?"

A glance at the clock told me it was just 6:30 am.

"Punctuality is the creed, girls," I said and slung my tote bag over my shoulder as I stood.

Kathy looked up and asked, "Quiet time done? Spiritual armour on?"

I gave her a big grin and a thumbs-up. "Check."

"Call us if you need anything, you hear," she said, her motherly nature taking the best of her.

"Sure thing, bestie. Relax, Jesus and my angel have my back."

"Roger that," Kathy said, with a salute.

"Don't forget your truce mission with our neighbours, Portia," I yelled towards the bathroom.

"On it," she said, peeking her head out, her mouth muffled with toothpaste foam.

"I'll find a way to get the boys to come over this evening, so get the house in order. We have to find a way to get rid of those push pins HS allowed Portia to recollect today. We might need some help if things get messy. I'll be off now."