Nemesis in Paradise

Dear Jesus,

"Good day, ladies and gents. My name is Lori Drop and I'll be your team guide for your clinical tour this semester," the Gloria clone said, scanning our little eager group with her soft brown eyes.

I just gaped while others responded.

She leaned in closer to our group, a glint of mischief twinkling in her eyes, "I kinda transferred to this hospital recently for my service year. We're gonna have to learn together on the go."

It was obvious she had won most of the group over with her nice talk.

I trembled slightly. Even her voice... There was this otherworldly but delicious accent to it. Was I just imagining this?

"Glad to know we're on the same page," she said with a single clap. "I want you all to introduce yourselves as fast as possible."

Thankfully, the introduction started from the other end of where I was.

My heart raced as the introduction slowly moved. I was certain I would soon begin hyperventilating.

"Is anything the matter, Ray?" Mike asked, looking me over, his forehead furrowed in concern.

"Yeah, I- I am fine," I squeaked. "I need to go use the bathroom."

Without waiting for his response or asking for permission, I left.

Stealing my way out of the lab, I hurried down the corridor we'd come through earlier.

I spotted a door marked with a female icon.

I entered. Empty. Great.

I gripped the basin so tight my knuckles were begging for mercy.

"Jesus, Jesus," I whispered. "What is this?"

I looked in the mirror and noted the alarmed wide-eyed visage I now wore.

My brain spun. Was that Gloria? No way! She didn't even look at me as though she recognised me. But why the pun with her name?

'You have to get a grip, girl. Maybe it's just a silly coincidence.'

I did what I knew how to do best. I was confused and overwhelmed so I switched to praying in tongues till I had attained a semblance of calmness.

It didn't help matters that at that moment, I felt my cross tattoos go warm. What was that? A sign that I should be at rest?

How could I be calm when it seemed my guardian angel who I hadn't seen in so long was now here?

I stumbled back out and planted myself next to Shelly who seemed quite enamoured with the charisma of Lori.

Surprisingly, Lori didn't ask me where I had gone nor did she insist that I introduce myself.

It was as if she was deliberately ignoring me.

Lori was in the middle of carefully taking us through the rudiments of what our clinical tour routine would look like henceforth:
Meet at the lab to take attendance, don our clinical robe, and then check on our assigned patient(s).

We would have to be coming for practical sessions twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Good gravy! I would have to see my angel clone twice a week?

I wanted to drag this Lori character to a secluded place and drill her with questions. But of course, I didn't. I was too scared, still trying to wrap my head around my suspicion.

I survived the one-hour tour through the major places in the hospital and then it was time to go.

Just as we sauntered out to fill the bus and head back to base, Lori came close and shoved a piece of silky fabric into my hand.