Chapter 8: Overthinking

Shirabu strolled through the school hallway. Semi left for band rehearsal, after their little moment on the rooftop. Shirabu couldn't stop thinking about how perfectly Semi's lips molded with his. He wished that moment lasted longer. His face warmed up at the thought.

"What do you mean you couldn't tell him?"

Shirabu paused in his tracks, he heard two girls arguing with each other from the left. Their voices sounded familiar so he assumed it was one of his classmates. As year representative, he couldn't let this slide. If things got worse, or even physical, Shirabu would be blamed for it. He leaned against the wall, making sure they couldn't see him. Once he was in position, he began eavesdropping onto their conversation.

"I was nervous okay?"

"That's no excuse! You had one job, ONE JOB!"

"Well, you can't just force me to say something I don't mean!" The second voice argued back,

"You didn't have to mean it, you just had to get that bowlcut out of my way." 

"Bowlcut?" Shirabu whispered to himself. He peeked out from the corner to find out who these 2 girls were. To his surprise, it wasn't one of his classmates. 

It was Suzuki and Nakamura.

Suzuki was leaning against the wall, while Nakamura rested her elbows against the window sill. Suzuki looked irritated while Nakamura had a sour expression on her face.

"If Eita knew that his little boytoy was cheating on him, he'd leave him immediately!" Suzuki exclaimed, "Shirabu wasn't going to accept that fake confession anyway..." Nakamura muttered as her eyes glanced at the corner of the wall. Her eyes widened when she found Shirabu peeking out from it.

"Hey Suzuki, I think you should stop-"

"No! I'm not giving up until that brat backs down." Suzuki cut Nakamura off.

"Suzu-"

"How come Eita brought his standards so low? He deserves to be with someone like m-"

"SUZUKI!" Nakamura shouted, "who are you to yell at me?" Suzuki said arrogantly, "Behind you..." Nakamura whispered, "who is it-" Suzuki was now facing Shirabu. Pure hatred beamed in her eyes.

"Shirabu." She called out.

Suzuki strutted towards him, Nakamura following behind. "We were just talking about you." Suzuki crossed her arms, "I can see that..." Shirabu replied. A regretful expression was worn on his face. He didn't want to be here right now, especially after what he just heard. 

"So? You heard everything?" Suzuki asked,

"pretty much.." Shirabu answered. 

"How did you and Eita get close anyway? Your WAY under his level. He needs to be more picky." Shirabu kept silence, his head facing the smooth, marble floor.

"Stay out of my way, brat." Suzuki scoffed as she brushed passed him. Nakamura held Shirabu's hands with an apologetic look on her face. This caused Shirabu to look up and face the brown-haired girl. "I'm sorry..." Nakamura whispered, as she gently let go of his hands and followed after the redhead.

But Shirabu stood there, frozen. Suzuki's words made his mind wander off. 

"Why does Semi like me anyway..."