Back to square one

I didn't feel bad for yet again, telling the infamous and world renowned Jace Wayland the world didn't revolve around him and his massive ego.

However, the look Alec threw at me, was one all too similar.

You know that look of despair and worry, and apprehension.

I seemed to have scared and confused the actual shit out of him, apparently.

"That's uncalled for Temp, and low....  Sister or not. You can't just talk to people like that. And Simon is gone, and Mom is gone and everything is truly awful. You're making things worse", she said.

The nerve. She complained 24/7 and didn't have the backbone to do anything but drag everyone else into her mess.

Anyways. There was a powerful warlock set on brain washing me, and I quite liked some of the memories I possessed.

"So, I may have pissed of Magnus. We might need to.... like leave...like now. Considering I just jumped out of a window to stop him from removing my memories", I said.

"You seem to piss off everyone you interact with. Four people in one day is a record, even for you", Alec remarked.

I responded with flipping the beautiful bird, and graciously limping off, in attempts to survive the attacks at my wounded ego, and also have some dignity.

I looked like a helpless damsel, in distress from the mixed messages received from the most standoffish guy I'd ever met.

Irrespective of my irrationality, Alec was annoyingly adamant on having some sort of care for me. I didn't know how to feel about that.

"You always run. Where are you going to run to this time? Just face your battles, or you'll lose the upcoming war", he commented, as he gently grasped my hand.

I swung my arm around his neck, and used him as a human crutch.

I was not used to having any form of support. I was my own support system, so learning to lean off others, or open up to new people was hard.

But life was hard. It sucked. But that's just the thing about life. It will always suck one way or another.

"We're going to the institute to patch you up, and then I'm going to meet Jace at the Hotel Dumort. Because, for some foolish reason he has to play hero all the time. I think he either has a death wish, or he's stupid. Or both of those things at the same time", he complained.

"Tell me all about it", I encouraged.

Alec was so wound up tight, he'd explode or combust from all the freaking pressure to be the perfect brother, or stereotypical guardian micromanaging everything.

With his sister missing and all that has happened, I couldn't imagine what stress he's under.

I certainly didn't make anything easy.

"I used to feel things. I had these feelings for someone. He didn't see me in that way, and it hurts so much to see him move on", Alec explained.

"Isabelle is missing... I have no damn clue where she is. Everything is changing, and you. You are infuriating. One second I can't stand you, and the next you're all I can really think about. You make things better. Temp. Temperature. Whatever. You make them easier. I don't know what it is, that I feel, but I can tell you one thing. It hurts to see him.... to see him move on. But it hurts even more to think that you hate me", he said.

I knew how I felt. He was so wrong. Wrong about all of it. I couldn't hate him.

"Alec. You are incredible, strong, smart, reliable and loving. I want to be like you. I can't hate you, and I don't think anyone ever truly could. I somehow feel as if this mess is all my fault. I should have said something sooner. I feel something. I can't fathom what it is, but it's there. I won't say 'I like you', that overused. That's cliche. It indescribable. It's something so much more...", I started, but didn't have the chance to finish, as he pulled me in carefully, and kissed me, like I was broken glass. Smashed irreparable china.

He pulled away, and then pulled me in closer.

"Alec", I said breathily.

"Eh- enough with this lovey dovey yammering", he whispered, whilst smirking.

"I don't...", I started.

"Do affection? Do intimacy? We'll learn, together. You're the only person I can stand being this close to me, and I wouldn't wish it be any other way", he said.