Chapter 4

Much To Discuss (Part 2)

1

Before I write about the things that I want to write about. I first want to write about the joys of my upbringing when Aslis was a part of it. Most of my joyous memories came from the spring months as I ran through the meadow of Dragon's Root, smelling the sweet scent when the petals yielded oils to the brightness of the sun. The oils they produced invited both bees and the wild horses that the Land of Masa knew them as Brimstone. I can still remember the sweet smells and the buzzing of bees as I ran carefree through the meadow, feeling the Dragon's Root tickling my feet, while Aslis ran behind me.

Mother of course packed us a lunch large enough to feed all of Masa, but it was just as well for Aslis and I would stay until the sky grew pink and purple, and we watched the wild Brimstone galloping on to the open meadow to graze upon the Dragon's Root. Once they had their fill the horses one by one would dance and play amongst the tall grass bursting into flames like that of falling stars, which created a glow of reds, orange, and yellows flames bursting high in the evening sky, rivaling the most exceptional sunsets in Masa.

Like all things in life, everything must have its beginnings and endings. The meadow was not only for running barefoot and laughing, but a place for knowledge of birth and death. But not once did Aslis taught me of rebirth...That will come later in my story.

But I must confess that my dear Aunt Aslis did in fact taught me a minor portion about rebirth. What I mean is. She taught me the death and rebirth of the meadow. It was when the wild Brimstones ate then, shortly later, they burst into flames as they played, turning the lush green meadow into a charred landscape of charcoal. Aslis must have seen the worry in my eyes as the meadow that I just played on now dead and ruin.

Aslis squeezed my hand, then looked down upon me. I looked at her with my worried expression. "Hush, child," said Aslis, comforting me. "The same meadow that you came to know will be back by next spring. It will come back greener and fuller than before. You will see."

I did not understand at first. My understanding came later when life was restored back to me. My aunt finished her words by saying: "We live, then die just as the meadow lived and now die. Tara, you are the rebirth of your parents. Their blood flows deeply in you veins."

I have never forgotten those words she uttered to me that day. They stayed with me to this very day.

The storm grew darker, and the winds howled like lost souls from Hades. Mother kept herself busy by chopping vegetables for the next day, according to my mother's words, but I saw the worry in her eyes. She could not bear to think about her husband stranded out in the bitter cold with his friend Si. Her eyes swelled. I saw the fire in the hearth growing short--and knew that my time grew short as well. Mother's swollen eyes looked at the hearth, then back at me.

"I believe it is time for you to retire." I collected the turtle shells that Aslis and I ate from, then kissed my aunt, then Mother. I hugged her tightly, then kissed her once more. "Everything will be alright." I whispered into her ear.

I nearly forgotten about that part of the story before heading off to bed. I had written that I simply collected the turtle shells, then kissed everyone good night, or something in the realms of that. But as I rested my thoughts and laid the feather by the inkwell, I remembered just how sad and afraid Mother truly was. Which brought me to wonder... How did I forget?

2

There were other things that I had forgotten about that night. And something might or might not be in the right place as I am telling the story. But the important parts of the story will shed light on the disappearance of my father. And the death of Si.