Chapter 8

The Eyes of Mórrígan

(In Her Own Words)

1

I am sure that Tara, the daughter of Rye, has told you much concerning the twelve gates, also known as realms or realities. To the land of Masa, I was known as Ada, the wife of Si, that perished in the terrible snowstorm. The snowstorm changed my life when the storm took my husband away from me. It was not the first time I had loved ones taken from me, but it does not get any easier. The storm itself did not change my life, but brought clarity when the spirit of my husband came to me. It was then I learned the true nature of the storm was my sister. It was then I learned that my sister Lillian had nearly found me and it would only be a matter of time that she would come to question the land of Masa of my whereabouts.

What hurt the most is when I lied to the ones I loved in Masa. I grew roots in Masa, and Masa became like the people of Ireland. The first time I met Si was when I first arrived in Masa. I was fresh with grief and anger in my heart. My mother had died along with my fiancée and then my friend. Si saw me alone, only a few feet away from the gate that I traveled through. I found Si's language confusing at first, until he sat next to me on the log, then we talked. And we talked for a while, which was difficult, but with patience on both sides, the barrier became less. I had been crying for some time and Si handed me a handkerchief. I was lost and alone in a realm that was not my own. But Si was kind to me. "What is the matter?" He said to me in his own way. I lightly dabbed my eyes.

A week later, I understood the language of Masa. I lived with him during that time and I fell in love. I told him I was from an unfamiliar land, and then I told him there are things about me I rather not talk about. We hugged and kissed.

It was about a month later, living in the new realm, that I shared my body with him. What I did not tell Si was that I thought about my first love when I lived in Ireland. We made love in the dark, which made it easy for me to pretend it was Lucian. I never told Si of making love to another inside my head. Then six weeks came, and I met Isabella and her husband, Rye. One thing I notice in this realm is that the people are attractive and kind. What I remember about Isabella was the color of her hair, like golden wheat fields. And her eyes were as blue as a clear summer's day. Her lips were red like rubies. I noticed this, for I was not spellbound by her beauty, but by how beautiful people were in Masa. But to them, they were normal. If I were to compare, I would say they reminded me of the Nordics from my realm, pale, but exquisite.

The men were tall and broad shouldered. V-shaped back that tapered down to a small waist, with thighs as tree trunks. Were as the men in Ireland were big and clumsy compared to the men of Masa. Everyone at the Second Gate treated me with kindness and slowly became my home.

Isabella and I became close friends, and I did what I could to help when Tara was only a baby and Rye went with Si, doing their duties as a warrior for the Iron Badger. Isabella and I would sew and talk about stories that our husbands spin yarns about. Life was wonderful in Masa, but not once did I ever forget the real reason for my being there. For I am a warrior myself. I was there to kill my sister and free myself from her. Never had I thought that Lillian had done so much damage.

When Tara grew, is when I saw fire within her. It is the same fire that burns within every warrior. No matter male or female, the fire burns the same. I suppose Rye saw the flame like I did in his own daughter. The flame is a bitter sweating thing to be born with. No parent wants to see their child died on the battlefield. But the flame will increase until it is properly channeled. And the military is where to channel it. For me, it was playing it by ear. I had no proper training. I had an absent father and a mother that did the best she knew how. Si's stories on the battlefield gave me new insights and knowledge.