Chapter 12

A Burdensome Gift

1

"It has been said, when a god gifts you a gift there is usually something attached to it—for there are no free gifts by the gods—"

Tara, daughter of Rye

Up in years Phreebous struggled to remove himself from his throne. And because of this, he knew the best years of his life were now behind him. He clung to his wooden staff for support, shifting his weight upon it. It had been eons since he feasted upon the fears of mortals and now, he grows weak. With feet of clay and a wooden staff, Phreebous slowly made his way down the marble staircase, while his wooden staff made a sharp clank as he made his way to Rye and Morrighan that waited for him at the bottom. Morrighan stood steadfast by my father's side but took pity on the old god. Her eyes shined green like that of emeralds only known by her people from a land unknown to Massa. But still if the old god had any tricks up his sleeve Morrighan would gladly put an end to Phreebous's life.

My father also kept a watchful eye upon the old god—waiting, studying his every move as Phreebous made it to the bottom of the stairs.

The old, faded god coughed then wheezed adding breath to his lungs. Phreebous stood helplessly weak in front of his awaiting guests. He took in a long, sickly breath before he spoke:

"Sometimes a god must make terrible decisions and I had made mine, while humoring the Queen of Hades, Lillian. I have grown sick and feeble. Rye, I had imprisoned you in the spirit in working with Lillian, whom I detest. I have walked in your thoughts and seen your dreams, loves, and fears. You are a simple man that loves his simple life, which I respect immensely. And what I am about to say is a warning to you. Rye. Remember one thing. Darkness loves the light only to corrupt it! Lillian has seen the light of which you possess. She was the one that caused the storm. She was the one that murdered your friend Si. I saw what Lillian did not. I saw a goddess in the form of a bird coming to your aide. I kept you here so she can find you. My youth has run dry, I am afraid. But there will be another to replace me. I am truly sorry that all of this has fallen upon you. I am sorry for the loss of your friend Si."

After Phreebous's speech my father stood still and silence seeing a shell of a god that once was. Phreebous reminded Rye of his father. He remembered seeing his father withered with age, shaking as if he were cold. My father looked upon Phreebous with a mixture of anger and pity. "You remind me of my father before his passing. He was a shell of his formal self. Look at you! You pathetic god, look at you. How do I know this is not one of your many tricks, for it has been written through the pages of Holy texts that gods as yourself are merely tricksters?"

"I see your lack of faith, Master Rye. Aye, your words speak the truth. Mortals have always been ponds for our own amusement—but assure you I have nothing left—nothing! It is not trickery you have to worry about, it is arrogance. All the gods possesses a certain amount of that. Man, or gods, it matters not. Lillian is arrogant, but she is also blinded with hate and revenge. You can hate me, Rye. But what good is it going to serve you?"

My father kept what Phreebous said locked inside his heart. Angry of what happened, but still, Rye understood Phreebous's words. "Aye!" Was all my father said.

2

Silence filled Phreebous's realm until Rye, my father regained his thoughts then questioned the dying god. My father stepped closer to Phreebous. "I do not understand the meaning behind all this. What does Lillian want from me?"

Phreebous made himself comfortable on the marble staircase. Morrighan helped him seat himself on the one of the lower steps of the staircase. "She wants an heir. An heir that governs the realms. Her heir will possess flesh of a men mixed with a god. The heir will travel among the realms as a god, but dwell with men as a mortal." Phreebous turned his gaze upon Morrighan. "You possess that ability. That is why Lillian cannot see you on the chessboard, but she can smell the magic on you. Use that to your advantage—it will serve you well."