Chapter 19

Tara's path 

1

"We do not have time to speak about your dream. Perhaps it is why Charles wants you to leave. If you are linked in any way to Lillian, then she will find you and find our realm. You must use the blue crystal and place it at the glow of the moon. If anyone finds out that I am doing this, Mother and I would be put to death. We must go now!"

I wiped my eyes and placed my hand inside my pocket. The crystal was still there. I could not believe how real the dream was. I smelled the smoke and felt the heat of the fire that came out from the mouths of the dragons. I knew Moonbeam was right, but it was hard for me to say goodbye. Moonbeam and Abigale are the only family I have left. I felt the necklace that Moonbeam gave to me at the pub where I first met Charles. My hand then felt the North Star, a medallion attached to the necklace. My father always told me that if I ever got lost, the North Star would guide me back home. Abigale was right. My path is laid before me, and Lillian is the one who performed the sacrifice. It was all up to me. Follow the path and embrace destiny or let Lillian win. Those were my only options. But there was a second sacrifice. And that sacrifice can only be done by me. I must leave my old life behind.

"Aye, I am ready. Before we go, may I ask you one question? Will this necklace allow me to reenter this realm once I leave it? I know I left this realm once... But that was before... Well, before all of this happened. I want to see you again if that is possible."

Moonbeam placed her forehead against mine. "You are wearing the North Star. The North Star will always lead you home. This is your home, Tara, when you need it. But there will come a time when men will forget magic, dragons, and elves. This will all soon fade as only stories for parents to tell their children. I say to you Tara... I say enjoy the here and now, for it may be gone forever."

It was then I promised Moonbeam I would never lose sight of magic and the wonders that life had brought to me. I, for one, could not live in a world where fairies failed to live. So, in my heart, I believe in the unbelievable, for it is where the elves dwell. And dwell they shall unto my dying day.

Moonbeam and I pushed open the cell door together, for it would be the last time we would see each other. During times of sorrow, we say keep in touch. Or I will not forget you. But seldom we do these things. I wanted to say those things to Moonbeam, but afraid to do so. So, I allowed the fates to make that decision for us both. Meanwhile, I need to bid farewell and leave my past behind. Moonbeam picked the most perfect spot among the trees where a patch of green grass grew. The light of the moon shone overhead, making the little spot of grass into a pool of broken glass. Light from the dew of the grass turning something ordinary into something extraordinary, giving depth to the moon's glow. It was indeed mystical.

"This is where we must say our goodbyes," said Moonbeam.

"Are you not going to stand by me as I place the crystal in the moon's glow?"

"That part is your doing. Mother told me you should be alone when you do this. Some things in life were always meant to be done alone. I will stand here and watch in the darkness of the woods. I will see everything. Then when you leave. I will come out of the darkness and wave my goodbyes to you. Promise me one thing. Promise me you will not look back as I do so. Look ahead, Tara, for your future is always in front of you. The past is always behind. Never look back, always look ahead."

And so, I walked alone with great sorrow and placed the blue crystal in the green grass and stepped back. For I was not sure what to expect.

The crystal shook, then broke. The light from the moon then glowed brighter than a million suns, making everything around it like crystal. Little points of light bounced off from one to another, nearly like snowfall. I had never seen such a thing in my life. And out of the blinding light stood a woman covered in the moon's light's glow. The color of her eyes was the color of blue. The bluest eyes that I have ever seen. Over her head looked like a crown of pearls that hovered above her head. She smiled at me as if she knew me. "You are Tara, daughter of Rye, are you not?"