Chapter One

"I'm missing you already, sissy." Chloe says, poking out her bottom lip.

"I'm going to miss you too." I pout as I walk through the aisle to my seat.

"I can't wait for you to come visit again."

"I mean, you can come visit me out here in LA." I suggest. "Your room is still the same way you left it. You can come see all your old friends! And I know Dad would be happy to finally see you after all this time. Oh, and you can—"

"Now you know that's not going to happen." Her attitude change almost gave me whiplash. "But have a safe flight, I love you. And so does Mom."

It's my turn to have an attitude change, I roll my eyes as I plop down into my seat. "Yeah, sure she does. Actually, I have to go. They're telling us to turn our phone on airplane mode. I love you. Bye."

Before she could say anything else I end the call before setting it down on the armrest a little too hard. That's not how I wanted our conversation to end after we just had such a great time together for the first time since the divorce, but as soon as either of us mention the parent that we live with — the conversation turns sour. I lean back into my seat, stretching my legs out as I settle comfortably into the plush cushion.

While I was visiting, I decided that it was for the best if I stayed at a hotel despite Chloe's attempt to convince me to stay and check out the apartment they're renting. Though Chloe and I relationship is a lot better now then it was a year ago, there's still moments when things get awkward between us. And that's not what I want to happen if I do agree to stay at their place, I don't want to make anybody uncomfortable in their home.

And if I did decide to stay I would have been coming back home way sooner than I planned; even with me staying at a hotel, it was still too much that I decided not to spend the remaining of the weekend. I want to be around people who want to be around me.

I know none of us wanted our relationship to turn out like this, but it did in the end and it's clear to tell who's on what side just from this whole screwed up family dynamic. Unlocking my phone and went to my photos, I couldn't help but smile as I scroll the many pictures we've taken during this visit. I've always admired Chloe's beauty, she possesses a beauty that captures attention from the moment she enters a room.

Her expressive, almond-shaped eyes are a deep shade of brown. Her high cheekbones lend an air of elegance to her features, perfectly complementing her heart-shaped face. And her ebony hair cascades down her back in luxurious locs, each strand seemingly infused with a touch of starlight. Eventually the plane taxied on the runway and soar through the clouds, it's kinda peacefully. I used to believe that it was only the different time zone and miles between Chloe and I that was separating us, but it's way more than that.

Even though it was her idea for us not to choose sides and stay out of our parents' messy divorce — in the end she chose her side and I guess ultimately, I did too. And she never lets me forget that the only reason we ended up even having to choose sides is all my fault.

"I feel like I need a cigarette." I mutter lowly to myself, my phone chimes and it's a message from my best friend.

Your ass better be on that plane and on your way back home. I miss my best friend — Hilary.

I'll be home soon. I miss you too. It's going to be nice to be around somebody who actually wants to be around me.

Oop, shade. You can tell me all about it at this fundraiser that's happening at my house tonight — Hilary.