Chapter Three

Hilary hums lowly as she stands behind me, pulling my hair back into a fishtail braid to keep it neatly tucked away from my face during practice. "You know, you're not slick right?"

Sitting in front of Hilary vanity, I can her reflection in the mirror so I can see her attempting to maintain a facade of innocence but couldn't hide a sly smile. "I don't have a clue what you're talking about."

"Really?" I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow. "So, me suddenly becoming Will personal tour guide has nothing to do with you trying to play matchmaker?"

"What?" Hilary scoffs, still playing innocent. "I was just trying to be helpful. Carlton and Will clearly don't want to be near each other, and I know for a fact that Dad wasn't going to just drop it. "And. . ." She drags out slowly as she peeks at me in the mirror. ". . .it wouldn't hurt to have some company on your drive to school. And being that you hate driving so much you can make him drive. So, if anything, I just helped everybody out in this situation."

"Hilary, I already told you—"

"Don't you want to finish up that conversation that you and him were having before Lisa interrupted?" She questions as she secure the end of the braid with a scrunchy.

"It wasn't much to finish." I inform. "He ask me if I wanted a bite of his sandwich and then Lisa came over, I left. The end."

"Hm." Hilary wiggles her eyebrows as she moves to stand besides the vanity. "An indirect kiss? Already?" I could hear the taunting in her voice. "Things are progressing faster than I'd expected."

"Stop romanticizing my life." I tell her as I turn to face her, point my finger at her. "I'm serious."

"Well, somebody needs to romanticize it!" Hilary protest, I just continue to stare at her. "Fine. But for all I did to make sure you and Will spend majority of the day together, I hope you have something juicy to tell me about y'all time together tonight."

"Yeah, because being his personal driver all day is just so romantic." I say in a sing-song voice as I raise up from the vanity seat, grabbing my duffel bag by the door I hike it over my shoulder then I grab my car keys before following her out the pool house. "The day is going to end with us gyrating against each other with our tongues down each other throats."

Hilary stops walking to turn towards me with a smile. "Wait, really?"

"What? No, not really." I push past her and head to the front of the house. "What's wrong with you?"

This isn't Hilary first time trying to play matchmaker for me, she's actually the reason why Trevor and I had gotten together. Which the both of us regret now. But when she had met him, she had planted these seeds of ideas of me and him together and then the seeds grew and now we're here. She's always trying to romanticize my life, but can't romanticize her own — she hasn't been serious with anybody since Lamarcus.

They split up because he wanted her to be his arm candy, and, thankfully, Hilary knew she was worth more than being that man arm candy. Even though he did end up making it big and becoming a pro NFL football player, she made the right decision. Since both our breakups, she's been keen on playing matchmaker for me and now it seems like Will is the new target for me. I just can't believe that she really believed that by the end of the day, Will and I would be tonguing each other down like we didn't just meet last night.