five

BUS TRIP! (GONE WRONG!!!)

It didn't take Ariana long to pack at all. In her backpack she had everything she needed: change of clothes, toothbrush, some mortal money, drachmas and a flask of nectar and an airbag right bag full of ambrosia squares that Chiron had given her.

"You'll do great Ari." Silena said as she and Drew braided her hair.

"What if I mess up Silena?" Ariana asked, fidgeting with one of Drew's rings that she had given her.

Drew finished her side of the braid. "You won't, I promise you'll do great."

Silena kissed the top of of head. "Go on. Chiron will be waiting for you."

Ariana got up from the bunk and smiled at the pair. "I'll come to you as soon as I'm back."

"Take care Ari." The two Aphrodite girls called out as she left the cabin.

Soon after Ariana found Annabeth. They waved goodbye to the other campers that were all stood across the strawberry fields. Chiron was waiting for them in his wheelchair. Next to him was Argus.

"This is Argus." Chiron informed Percy. "He will drive you into the city."

Luke came running up the hill, holding a pair of basketball shoes. Immediately, Annabeth blushed causing Ariana to raise her eyebrows.

"Just wanted to say good luck." Luke told Percy. "And I thought... um, maybe you could use these."

He handed Percy the sneakers, which looked pretty normal.

Luke said. "Maia!"

White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, Percy dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days..." His expression turned sad.

"Hey, man." Percy grinned from ear to ear. "Thanks!"

"Listen, Percy..." Luke looked uncomfortable. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just... kill some monsters for me, okay?"

They shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between his horns, then gave a goodbye hug to Annabeth, who looked like she might pass out. Finally, he hugged Ariana.

"You and Annabeth stay close to each other yeah?" He asked.

Ariana nodded, raising her eyebrows like it was a stupid question. "Of course."

After Luke was gone, Percy spoke, looking at Annabeth. "You're hyperventilating."

"Am not!" Annabeth protested, turning a bright shade of red.

Ariana smirked. "Oh you so are!"

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?" Percy asked with a matching smirk.

"Oh... why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?" Annabeth grumbled.

"Wait you still love me right?" Ariana asked. When she got no response she shouted. "Annie!"

She stomped down the other side of the hill, where a white SUV waited on the shoulder of the road. Argus followed, jingling his car keys.

Percy picked up the flying shoes and had a sudden bad feeling. He looked at Chiron. "I won't be able to use these, will I?"

He shook his head. "Luke meant well, Percy. But taking to the air... that would not be wise for you!"

He nodded, disappointed, but then. "Hey, Grover. You want a magic item?"