thirteen

CRASHING FUNERALS

Hours later, their raft washed up at Camp Half-Blood. How they got there, she had no idea. At some point the lake water just changed to salt water.

The familiar shoreline of Long Island appeared up ahead, and a couple of friendly great white sharks surfaced and steered them toward the beach.

When they landed, the camp seemed deserted. It was late afternoon, but the archery range was empty.

The climbing wall poured lava and rumbled all by itself. Pavilion: nothing. Cabins: all vacant. Then she noticed smoke rising from the amphitheater.

Too early for a campfire, and they didn't figure they were roasting marshmallows. She ran toward it.

Before she even got there she heard Chiron making an announcement. When she realized what he was saying, shw stopped dead in her tracks.

"assume they are dead," Chiron said. "After so long a silence, it is unlikely our prayers will be answered. I have asked their best surviving friend to do the final honors."

Ariana and Percy came up on the back of the amphitheater. Nobody noticed them. They were all looking forward, watching as Annabeth took a long green silk burial cloth, embroidered with a trident, and set it on the flames and then a purple silk burial cloth, embroidered with a skull. They were burning their shrouds.

Annabeth turned to face the audience. She looked terrible. Her eyes were puffy from crying, but she managed to say, "They were probably the bestest friends I have ever head. They were so brave.. they.." Then she saw them. Her face went blood red.

"They are right there!"

Heads turned. People gasped.

"Ariana! Percy!" Beckendorf grinned.

A bunch of other kids crowded around them and clapped them on the back. She heard a few curses from the Ares cabin, but Clarisse just rolled her eyes, like she couldn't believe Percy had had the nerve to survive.

"Ariana!" Drew and Silena both ran over to the girl, hugging her.

Ariana smiled into the hug, pulling away shortly after. Silena wiped away a few loose tears.

"Never, ever do that again." the daughter of Aphrodite scolded.

Ariana's head nodded. "I promise."

Drew sighed out of relief, hugging her once more. "We were so scared."

Chiron cantered over and everyone made way for him.

"Well," he sighed with obvious relief, "I don't believe I've ever been happier to see two campers return. But you must tell me-"

"WHERE HAVE YOU TWO BEEN?" Annabeth interrupted, shoving aside the other campers.

Ariana thought she was going to punch them, but instead she hugged them so fiercely she nearly cracked their ribs. The other campers fell silent.

Annabeth seemed to realize she was making a scene and pushed them away.

"I we thought you two were dead, Seaweed Brain, Death Girl!"

"I'm sorry," Percy said.

"We got lost?" Ariana said.

"LOST?" she yelled. "Two weeks, Ariana, Percy? Where in the world-"

"Annabeth," Chiron interrupted. "Perhaps we should discuss this somewhere more private, shall we? The rest of you, back to your normal activities!"

Without waiting for them to protest, he picked up Annabeth, Percy and her as easily as if they were kittens, slung them both on his back, and galloped off toward the Big House.