eight.

ATLAS NOBLE

My eyes barely closed last night, the circumstances didn't leave much room for relaxation. My head pounded, and I stomach felt ready to bubble up and explode like a Volcano. Being careful not to wake Adelia I snuck past her and went downstairs to find some Tylenol.

My sister sat on the couch, watching Netflix while on her phone. Her hair looked like it had been in beach waves but had been messed up, and she still had a pretty dress on.

"Hey Morgan, where did you go tonight?" I asked but since I still haven't taken my pill I might have sounded more grouchy.

She turned to me to speak, but all I could see was the drained look in her eyes. What used to be a gorgeous blue was reduced to a murky gray color. It was strange staring at them, I was confused about how they were able to change. I decided she might have just been wearing contacts, and the drained look was because she was just tired.

"I went out to Vaqueros." She said, no other information was said.

"You okay?" I asked, going into the kitchen to retrieve what I was after.

She sighed like it was mentally painful to even speak. "Yeah, I'm just tired." I opened the cabinet and found the bottle. 

I popped a pill into my mouth, then before I could walk away Morgan asked, "Could you hand me the bottle?" I did what she asked. I started for my room, and on the stairs, I heard her swallow one.

☽☾☽☾☽☾

I was scribbling down a plan in my red spiral notebook when Adelia woke up. She stretched her arms out over her head and went into the bathroom to change and get ready. A spike of worry made me jump up, and look into Morgan's and my Mom's room to see if the girls were up. I sighed with relief when I found them both asleep in their beds. I haven't found the solution on what to tell them when they find out Adelia has been staying here.

When she got out of the bathroom in my sister's black cropped v-neck from Target and green cargo shorts. I don't think she styled her hair besides a brush, but the ends of her blonde flicked up. I guess I didn't realize how deathly white her skin was until I got a closer look, it was as if she was almost alien. I felt a ping of sadness, how did she get into the situation that turned her into a statue for lord knows how many years?

"What is the plan for today?" She asked. I explained to her how I thought a double date would be good. She could go out with Jake, and I could be with Olivia while keeping a close eye on her. I didn't tell her the last bit though.

I called both of them up, and they said yes. I planned for us to go to a movie and after go rollerskating. It's a brilliant plan because we are going to see a scary film making it impossible for her and Jake not to get close. I was sure Adelia didn't know how to skate, so Jake help her and in turn, fall a little more in love.

When it was time to go, I took Morgan's car and we picked the two up. Jake and Adelia sat in the backseat, and I could tell that Adelia truly didn't want to be with him. She looked uncounterable, and that she was attracted to him. But we continued that date anyway.

My attention was focused on the two of them the whole time, and the way Adelia fake a smile and flirted, she was a natural at it but I could see through her disguise. 

We skated, and Olivia laughed as we spun around holding each other. Adelia was having trouble balancing, sticking to the sides of the rink. I felt a sense of hopelessness like it was never going to work out between Jack and Adelia. I didn't want to push it, but we had a time limit.

I decided not to push it between them. When I dropped them off at their houses, I made it up to her by taking her out for ice cream. She was surprised, not knowing what the sweet treat was at first. She enjoyed it though, smiling between each taste.

"How did the date go for you?" She asked. It was dark outside but I could see the clouds trying to cover the moon and stars.

"It was fine," I said I didn't have a great time. "What about you?"

"Jake is boring as hell." She commented. Even though he was one of my best friends, I could see where she was coming from.

I got an idea. "Well let's go somewhere less boring." I took her hand, left the strip mall where the ice cream place was, and walked three blocks to get to what I was looking for.

There was a small river or lake of sorts. I think it was meant to be aesthetically pleasing because It was a moat around the doctor's office/apartment complex. "Ready?"

"For what?" She laughed.

I stood on top of the bridge. I looked down into the dark waters, and for a moment I thought I shouldn't even try. I jumped off the bridge anyways. I could her yell for me as the water consumed me, but just for a moment. I heard the splash in the water, and through the darkness, I could see her blonde hair floating.

"You are not as boring as I thought you were." She said, swimming towards me. I flicked the wet hair from my eyes, and she was staring at me weirdly. I smiled, and my heart beat rapidly. I felt so dizzy from excitement and adrenaline. I felt high and drunk all at the same time, and I could tell she felt the same because she giggled and smiled so much.

I feel ashamed now. I want to take back the entire night and throw it into a garbage can before Olivia finds out.

Our faces got closer until I could feel her nose pressed against mine. Her hands went to my shoulders, asking for permission. I leaned in and our lips touch, if I didn't see her I probably would have thought a butterfly landed on them. Her hands went into my hair as the kiss deepened. A yearning for more entered my system, a wish for her to be mine. It felt like all the kisses I had with Olivia, and that I wanted to see her to be with her again.

I broke us apart. Gasping for breath she leaned in for round two, but I got out of her arms.

"Atlas?" She asked, a hurt expression on her face. I felt terrible for leading her on this way, but I made a mistake.

"I'm sorry, Adelia. I really am." I said. We walked back to the car without saying a word, and we didn't say anything to each other until the next morning when she said she was going somewhere with Jake.

I love Olivia, I will continue to even when she's in Montana. 

I'm ashamed that I don't feel guilty for what happened in the water, or that I wouldn't change it for the world.