nine.

ADELIA ROSE

I had to leave that house as soon as I could. Jake drove the getaway car to his house, where I could finally be able to breathe. I've been suffocating ever since last night.

The ride to his house came with unexpected comforts, when I woke up everything around me was different. The technologies, the schools, the parties, the people. One thing that never changed was the trees, the flowers that bloomed by the highway, and the deer who ran with their mothers and other babies.

I forgot home much I missed it. I miss everything about this wonderful earth, and I miss my family and the normal life I've never got a chance to experince.

Fuck you, Moon. 

"Can we take a walk?" I asked Jake. He was reluctant but we stopped at a park by his house and walked the scenic route where they had planted flowers of all colors, shapes, and sizes.

"You like nature?" He asked me. I felt the tips of his fingers touching mine, but I didn't want to hold his. 

"Yes," I said, breathing in the fresh air. He grabbed my hand anyway.

"You're gorgeous, Adelia. I feel like I've seen you in a painting or something." He said. I almost rolled my eyes.

"A statue. People say that to me a lot."

"Yeah, that's what it was. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it." He scrolled through his phone, looking obsessively at every picture to find the one. He couldn't.

He asked me if I was excited for senior year, whatever the hell that is. I just say yes, and move on. I just want to be near nature. We were getting closer to the entrance of the park where you could see the shops across the street.

Goosebumps went up my arms and legs which felt like they were stone again. I couldn't move or speak, all I could see was Jake trying to get my attention. No, no, no. I wanted to cry, but no tears came down my eyes. I wanted to run, but I wouldn't get very far. My heart raced erratically, did he see me? Does he know I'm here?

Across the street, sitting at one of the cafe tables was Morgan; and the Moon. Fear was the only thing I knew as predator stared down prey. I could feel his cold black eyes stare into mine, they were inhuman.

Would he leap out and kill me now? Was I scared for no reason? I calmed my aching heart by grabbing Jake's hand and forcing us into his car.

"Drive me home," I said, and thankfully he started the car without any word. The rabbit runs away into the thicket of bushes, but the sly hunter-fox would remember its scent, it's eyes, and its tricks. The fox would always outsmart the rabbit.

☽☾☽☾☽☾

I climbed out of the car, searching paranoid around the sunny streets for any signs of danger. I said my goodbyes to Jake and he was on his way before I got to the front door.

"Atlas? Hello?" I knocked on the door, practically banging my fists against the wood. A woman answered, her face spoke a fit of anger her tone couldn't and I knew it was his mom. They had the same dark hair and golden skin.

"Hello, miss. Why are you banging on my door this early?" She asked sarcastically.

"I'm looking for Atlas. I'm a friend of his, Adelia Rose."

"He out today. He went to a movie with his girlfriend." 

I told her my thanks but with no car or phone, I was stuck walking the streets of his neighborhood. It was lunchtime, and for the first time in a while, I could hear my stomach growl. I felt scared, without Atlas I had no access to food or water. So like I stray kitten I stayed close to his house so if he showed up again I'd know.

The peculiar thing was I didn't see him pull into the driveway, but his sister. She stared at the garage door, clutching the wheel. What a crazed look in her eyes.

Something in me shifted like I had remembered what she was feeling. I knew her exact thoughts. The Moon was draining her, sucking her life force out like a lollipop. It was a game to him, life. He had none but laughed at the mortality others had. 

This was his way of further punishing me, I think. Show her what I can do, show her what I've done before.