CHARLIE: DAY 1

"Carcosa?" Hoss yelled through the bathroom door, banging on it. "You're going to fucking Carcosa?"

I stared at the battered thing in the mirror that clung to the sink. My sweat mixed with the cold water, hanging onto my pale nose before launching off. My eyes were blue, raw pits, lids droopy. Lipstick, faded. Black waves slicked my hollow cheeks.

"Charlie!" He continued hammering, and I cemented my teeth together, toweling my face dry. "Hello! Charlie!"

"I hear ya," I snapped, throwing the rag down. "Great Idols. Fuck, come on."

I yanked open the door to Hoss' furrowed brows.

"You can't go," I ducked under his flung arm, keeping my eyes glued on my pack.

"I've made up my mind," I tapped the side of my skull, stuffing the last of my supplies into my bag. "It'll be a quick trip—"

"Do you hear yourself?" Hoss groaned, slapping his hands on his thighs and rounding on me. "Even short trips are a risk to your life, amige!"

"I saw the ship go over!" I yelled despite myself, wrenching the bag closed. My ears were ringing. I seized the cloth, anchoring myself there.

"I saw it, right on the Border," I half-coached, half-reminded myself, trying to catch my breath. "Last time that happened, it showed up in Medford, and we were able to get it back."

"Yes, and it might show up in a Great Idol's cule next time." Hoss made a face, putting his hand between me and my pack. "What are you doing?"

"Know how much money we can make?" I rounded on him, raising my brow. "Selling real morphine and antiseptics? And we'll have enough left over for ourselves."

"Stop," he cut, eyes flashing. "Stop, amige. No money is worth—"

"We can fix up the refuge," I bulled back. "I can get out of fucking debt. Pay the Don to really leave me alone. Life can have some semblance of comfort."

He looked tempted. But then he made the Face. The one when his fucking morals kicked in.

"You don't even know if it has medicine in it," he argued.

"I saw the Pax Homnis on it," I snapped. "It was a mercy ship."

"A mercy—" his eyes widened. "Pute madra. I wonder how long it was floating out there."

"Long time, by the looks of it. Mighta even seen blue skies," I muttered, raising a brow as I yanked the laces of my boots tight. I shrugged on my battered navy coat.

"Yeah?" Hoss' eyes widened. "How can you tell?"

"It had no harpoon," I scowled, glaring up. "You'd have to be insane not to. How you gonna protect yourself against the Deeps?"

"So there were no Deep Ones when it set sail, hm," Hoss' eyes widened in wonder.

"Fuck's sake, who knows? Who cares?" I snapped. "Could be the reason it sank in the first place." I took a deep breath, standing, and dusted my blouse off. Adjusted the ribbon tie. "But I won't find jack if I don't get going."

Hoss stopped me again, eyes wide. "At least take me with you, amige."

I balked, scowling. "No way. You'll be screwed out there. Look, just—hey!"

He lorded his height over me, catching my shoulder.

"You are not going alone," he hissed. "Not again."