II. HALEY

The waves — a dark murky blue — splashing against my legs, my toes submerged into the sand. It was dark out, windy, cold. My brown hair blowing in the wind, sometimes a strand would end up in my mouth. Gross.

My hands in the pockets of my jacket, cars were racing down the street. Finally I felt at peace.

 Finally I felt at peace

"dad. . ." Haley sighed, "dad. Wake up. . ."
She shaked his unconscious body, cold on the floor. A puddle of drool pouring out his mouth.

"Dad, Please!"
She yelled, with tears streaming down her slender face.

Punching his chest, she began to sob. "Why do you keep doing this." She spat out, her voice filled with rage.

She wiped the tears off her face with her striped sleeve, staring down at him from above, staring down at her father.

Haley began to uncontrollably sob again, her eyes red and puffy, kicking at his intoxicated body, anger and sadness taking over.

Why, she kept asking herself, why.

There was something about blasting music into your ears as you walk through a desolate  town, with the street lights just turning on, empty, quiet streets

There was something about blasting music into your ears as you walk through a desolate  town, with the street lights just turning on, empty, quiet streets. The only noise is the wind whistling and the rubbish dancing.

Her headphones pressed against her unbrushed hair, staring at her shoes as she walked through the streets. One would be cautious, glancing in every direction, in such a sketchy place you'd be afraid of every slight noise. But when you've lived in this part of town for such a long period of time, you get used to it.

Haley enjoyed the feeling of being alone, nothing but the wind and the faint singing of birds.

It was early, around 5:30am, too early, in fact. The sun was just rising, making the sky a foggy grey, an ombré of purple and yellows faint on the horizon. This was the best time of day to Haley, no one was awake, no one was around to disturb the peace she felt.