Episode 6: Co-worker

"Maybe I could."

He was right, she needed space.

She needed time.

She doesn't wanna risk getting her heart broken.

Not now.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Carmen opens the window to her bedroom and slides right in with ease, and closes the window behind her. She lands right on her bed. The lamp in her room flicks on, the light illuminating her figure. The smell of her room gives her a nostalgic feeling. It feels warm, cozy, as if a blanket is wrapped around her shoulders. It truly feels like home.

She smiles and shifts her position to the edge of the bed, sitting on it comfortably. Her eyes look down to her legs as she swings them back and forth in a gentle motion, taking in the moment.

Knock, knock, knock.

Her head jerks up at the sound of someone's knuckles tapping against her door. 'It must be mom and dad!' She quickly boosts herself up and reaches for the doorknob, but is beaten to it as the door swings open, revealing both of Carmen's parents. Carmen's face lights up in joy, running up to them and wrapping her arms around them. She embraces them tightly.

"Mom, dad! I missed you guys," She sniffles, "so much." tears start to well in her eyes, streaming down her cheeks as she closes them shut.

"I tried- I tried so hard to go back home! But I couldn't..." Her words start to turn into murmurs as she lets it all out, unable to hold it all in.

"I wanted to see you guys so bad." Her voice wavered as she sobbed quietly into their arms.

They both tilt their heads down at her in a robotic manner. They felt so stiff.

"Where have you been?"

Her dad spoke out in a deep, deadpan voice. Carmen's heart sank as she heard her dad's cold and distant voice. It was not the warm, loving voice she had expected. She pulled away slightly from the embrace, her tears still streaming down her cheeks. Her parents' faces remained stoic, lacking any sign of emotion or concern.

"I-I was... I was... fighting," Carmen stammered, trying to find the right words to explain her disappearance. "I was forced to fight... monsters... for entertainment. It was horrible, and I couldn't get out... until now."

Her mom's expression remained unchanged, her eyes fixed on Carmen with an unsettling intensity. "Fighting monsters? For entertainment?" she repeated, her voice devoid of any empathy or understanding.

Carmen nodded, her throat tightening with emotion. "Yes! But I'm out now, and I don't want to go back- I want to be with you both again!"

Her dad's response was cold and stern, "We should have thought about the consequences before getting you involved in such nonsense. We had high hopes for you, Carmen. We supported your dream of becoming a fighter, but this...