Introduction Speech (Is danger coming?)

Dumbledore was, unfortunately, still the headmaster; not for lack of effort on their end, so he was the one that stood to give the speech after the sorting had ended and they'd all eaten another delicious meal curtesy of the Hogwarts House Elves.

"So!" said Dumbledore, smiling around at them all. The Heirs could see the tightness of the smile for what it was though as the man looked at the Teacher's table. The displeasure he still felt after two years of the implemented changes and the addition of the staff was palpable and honestly quite petty and immature. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention while I give out a few notices. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it." The corners of Dumbledore's mouth twitched. He continued, "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

"What?" Draco gasped. He looked around at Leo and Hadrian, his fellow members of the Quidditch team who were also looking furious at the man. They knew that the Tri-Wizard Tournament had been brought back, but they hadn't thought they'd cancel Quidditch for it.

Dumbledore went on, ignoring the sounds of outrage emitted throughout the hall, "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy — but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place."

"You're joking!" Fred Prewett-Weasley exclaimed loudly.

The tension that had filled the Hall ever since the Quidditch announcement suddenly broke. Nearly everyone laughed, and Dumbledore chuckled appreciatively.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," he said, "though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar . . ."

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly. "Er — but maybe this is not the time . . . no . . ." said Dumbledore and the Slytherins rolled their eyes at the dramatic man, "where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament . . . well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely. The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the tournament once every five years, and it was generally agreed to be a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities — until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the tournament was discontinued."

They heard people around them gasp in shock at the words he'd spoken.

"Death toll?" Theo exclaimed, exasperation lacing his voice. "Why would they bring back such a thing then?!"

"Don't ask Theo...it was another one of the headmaster's ideas." Leo said, patting his friend on the back in mock comfort.

"There have been several attempts over the centuries to reinstate the tournament," Dumbledore continued, "none of which has been very successful. However, our own departments of International Magical Cooperation and Magical Games and Sports have decided the time is ripe for another attempt. We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that this time, no champion will find himself or herself in mortal danger. The heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in October, and the selection of the three champions will take place at Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are worthiest to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons personal prize money."