Chapter 8 | That's enough.

The debacle of yesterday's meeting had left each member of the Board of Directors anxious about the impending moment of their final decision: to participate in the conspiracy or lose everything.

Usually, they would gather in the room with a great clamor of discussions and laughter, but on this day, the atmosphere was so somber that one could have thought one of them had just died.

Woodford entered the room, his footsteps heavy, and his gaze stern. His all-black suit matched a tie of the same color, creating such a contrast with the ambiance that John was convinced he had done it deliberately to add pressure to the minds of the board members.

Meanwhile, Mikhail kept his distance and didn't even glance at his best friend, which John found very strange. Nevertheless, he preferred to focus on the gravity of the moment, the high stakes of this extraordinary meeting.

The CEO took his place and placed his touchscreen tablet on the table, announcing with a hoarse and rather unpleasant voice: "Ladies and gentlemen, I declare the session of the Board of Directors open. Today, we have only one item on the agenda for discussion, which concerns the participation of each person seated at this table in the grand project. In agreement with Mr. William Katika, no debate will take place, as all essential details of this plan were already discussed yesterday, and each one of us has had ample time to reflect on their decision since then. However, you will have the opportunity to explain your choice if you wish to do so, and for a duration not exceeding 2 minutes. The significance of this project for the company implies that anyone refusing to take part must submit their imperative resignation from the Board of Directors after this session. We cannot tolerate any dissenting person continuing their role as a board member and thereby obstructing our grand project. Without further ado, those who declare themselves open to participating, please raise your hand!"

John felt a tremor from head to toe: the moment had arrived. It happened in a fraction of a second, and unsurprisingly, 17 out of the 18 members of the Board of Directors declared themselves ready to participate in this plot, including Davies and Mikhail (which left John astonished).

Equally stunned by John's refusal, the CEO opened and closed his mouth like a toad. Even his complexion, now delicate green, gave him the appearance of being sickly, which added to his demeanor.

With trembling hands and a piercing gaze, Woodford struggled to maintain what little composure he had left.

"Let those who abstain or refuse also raise their hand," he managed to utter. John raised his hand, feeling a surge of blood pressure that caused him intense pain.

"And may we know your exact position?" the CEO asked, his lips tightly pressed together.

"I abstain," John replied instantly. It was the only way to limit the forthcoming damage caused by his decision.

When the voting moment came, an odd purifying cold spread throughout his body, immediately followed by an electric shock he had never experienced before.

The purification, a true electric shock, washed over him. It was as if he had awakened from a long coma, and all the horrors he had committed in the past month became vivid in his memory, stirring something in his heart that he hadn't felt in what seemed like a century—remorse, shame.

The weight of the situation bore down on his brain. Perhaps regaining any sense of honor in society was now impossible, but a crucial realization remained in his mind, one where he had misjudged its significance, its true purpose: responsibility.

He felt the responsibility to fight with all his might against this sinister plot. The responsibility to try and reason with Woodford and his father.

But was it achievable? Was it even conceivable?

Faced with the enormity of the task ahead, with the entire burden resting on his shoulders, he felt like Atlas carrying the celestial vault.

The lives of millions of human beings were at stake. He had the mission to advocate for preserving the lives of millions of his fellow humans.