Chapter 10 | The path of salvation

It was over; he had definitively announced his departure from Katika and turned his back on Woodford and his father.

His sprint away from the headquarters mirrored the chaos he had experienced in his life during a month as the COO of that company.

Going deeper through the corridors, descending the floors, and finally deciding to take the elevator from the 80th floor, John gasped for air like a seal, as anxiety and distress had seized him at his deepest core, opening a wound he doubted could ever close.

This explosive cocktail of intense emotions surged up his throat, causing him to vomit his last meal.

Upon reaching the ground floor, he decided he would take a walk towards the Golden Gate, contemplating his situation and future prospects in a world threatened by a destructive pandemic.

His company car, he would have to return it the next day to Rebecca, along with all the materials related to his former job.

But beyond that, he would have to confront the fateful moment when he would explain to the young secretary the reasons for his departure and ask her to join him in this perilous adventure of relentless struggle against his father's company.

On the bridge, he wandered and gazed at the distant horizon: nothing seemed to be in its natural order.

Even the clouds appeared different to John: too vast, solid, and menacing, almost corrupted and aligned with evil.

The symphony of birds also had a deeper tone than usual in his mind, evoking a funereal aspect.

A requiem in his memory, him, blacklisted by a demonic firm.

"Beautiful view," a voice said from behind him.

John jumped; once again, he had felt alone and abandoned in his meditation filled with the most negative thoughts.

The voice belonged to Mikhail, who appeared relaxed, although his eyebrows were slightly furrowed.

"How did you find me?" John asked.

Letting out a deep sigh, his friend replied,

"I know you inside out: every time you faced a difficult situation, you came here to recharge and reflect."

He paused for a moment and continued,

"In fact, I waited for you on the ground floor, and you walked right past me without even noticing. You looked quite miserable, and I knew you would come here, so I got in my car and joined you."

John looked into his best friend's eyes and sensed something mysterious about him that needed clarification. Clearly, he hadn't come solely to provide emotional support.

"I don't know if you're aware," he said grumpily, "but I just announced my departure from the company to Miles and my father."

He emitted a rough grunt.

"I want nothing to do with their madness," he concluded.

Mikhail lowered his gaze for a moment and said,

"I expected as much, to be honest, when you abstained. I knew at that moment it would lead you towards your downfall."

His downfall? What was he exactly talking about?

"Huh?" John questioned.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," Mikhail declared. "The world is changing, new opportunities are emerging, but significant sacrifices must be made for the sake of the victors. I thought about it in the elevator, and in the end, I believe that if we were to vote again, I would declare myself ready to cooperate with the conviction that what we'll do will be beneficial for us and perhaps even for the world. It will be a foundation for the birth of a new post-pandemic society, and an incredible opportunity for us."

The young former COO was in disbelief: he knew his friend had the fire of ambition, the drive to conquer, and a leader's insensitivity, but to the extent of collaborating in a plan to destroy part of humanity?

"I don't understand you, man," John said, "Did you come all the way here to try to talk me out of this? Stop beating around the bush and spit out what you really wanted to say."