Chapitre 16 | The rocker is leaving

A motor had emitted a surprising sound in its intensity, which made John question the security of the house where he and his new allies were meeting.

"Mr. Carter," he said, "are we in a secure house? I mean, are you absolutely sure that no microphones or prying ears could overhear our conversations?"

Although he found this concern surprising, the lawyer acknowledged its legitimacy: the enemy now knew that he was the defender of the person who posed the greatest threat to their plans, and that this individual would confide in him.

"No worries," he replied, "one of us will have to stay here and stand guard when the other three are outside."

"What do you mean, the other three?" John quickly asked. "We are precisely three."

"I am married," Carter replied with a smile, "my wife is a literary agent."

Seeing John's anxious and eager expression, the lawyer continued:

"As for prying ears, I personally chose this house, instructing the real estate agency that the walls must be thick enough to prevent any external eavesdropping."

Suddenly, John's phone began to vibrate. He took it out of his jacket pocket and saw that the call was from Rebecca.  Good lord! The young man had completely forgotten to inform his lover about his release from the hospital! He risked a severe scolding at an inopportune moment.

Summoning his courage, John answered but didn't have the chance to say a word:

"John?!" exclaimed Rebecca, "What's going on? You're leaving the hospital without even telling me? Are you kidding me?"

"Hello, my dear," John replied with a pitiful tone, "no, it's not exactly like that."

"NOT EXACTLY LIKE THAT?!" roared the young secretary with all the force of her lungs, "I'm carrying your child, and you leave me worried after I've come here for nothing? I could have gone home to rest!"

"Rebecca," John said desperately.

"You better tell me what's on your mind, John," Rebecca declared with an ultimatum-like tone, "or you can say goodbye to any pleasures with me for a very long time."

The former COO couldn't help but let out a little laugh, amused by the strong-willed and yet cute nature of the expectant mother. He was touched that she had been so concerned, and her anger made her suddenly even sexier and more desirable in his eyes.

However, she made sure to bring him back to reality.

"What's so funny, idiot?" she exclaimed indignantly.

"My dear," John replied, "I had the FBI tailing me, and I had to undergo a special interrogation as soon as I was released. I'm really, really sorry that the idea of calling or texting you slipped my mind..."

Rebecca made a strange sound, conveying a mix of scorn, anger, and bitterness at having been forgotten.

"I'm waiting for you at my place at exactly eight o'clock to talk about this very seriously," she finally said after ten seconds, "and eat some fish to improve your memory, old man."

"I can't come tonight, my love," John immediately responded, "I'm staying with someone, and I must get to work on... you know."

He was afraid his line might be tapped, so he had to be cautious and reveal as little as possible. It wasn't because he was afraid of the FBI; the more they knew, the better, as it would validate his claims. No, he was concerned that Katika might have access to phone tap records, as Carter and Terry had warned him about the extent of their power and information resources.