Confusion

Notes:

Hi there!

I intended to end this chapter a bit further into the story, but I got carried away while writing it and it turned out to be too long. So I decided to cut my original intended chapter into two chapters instead.

Also, this is the chapter where I pushed the boundaries a bit to force the plot. Because of this, the contents of this chapter may be offensive to some readers, so readers discretion is advised.

Chapter 4: Confusion

Videl was numb. All the chaos surrounding her turned into muffled sounds and blurred images. She didn't even realize that her grip on the rogue was loosening, nor that the man was pushing her off him and fled. She just sat there, on her knees, left alone with her inner turmoil.

Did that guy say 'dead'? Was Saiyaman...? Was he really dead?

No that can't be, he was indestructible. At least, that's how it always seemed to her. But has there ever been anyone who was truly invincible? Even Superman had his Kryptonite. Besides, all living things eventually die, and the last time she checked, Saiyaman was made of flesh and blood. So, would he be...?

No, she didn't want to believe it! She wouldn't accept it! That criminal was just messing with her head, nothing more. Speaking of which, where was the guy!

Videl snapped out from her thoughts and looked around to find the rogue. The fear and panic she just felt over the possible loss of Saiyaman gave way to pure anger and rage. She would teach him to tell her such awful lies!

Out of the corner of her eye, Videl saw the rogue walking out of the mall with a bag. Apparently, after his escape, he couldn't resist the temptation to grab some extra loot before leaving the scene. The criminal realized that Videl had seen him and, in a panic, he returned to where he came from. The young crime fighter immediately went after him, she wouldn't let this man escape. Anyone who stood between her and her target was forcibly pushed away, be it a criminal or cop.

Like the rest of the criminals on the scene, the rogue was no match for Videl. She soon caught up with him, leaving a trail of unconscious criminals and bewildered police officers. Finally, she got hold of his collar and pushed him against the nearest wall, her forearm against his throat.

"You liar!" Videl screamed in anger.

"If I'm lying to you, then tell me, where is this Saiyaman of yours?" the rogue provoked.

"Probably fighting crime somewhere else."

"Like yesterday and the day before yesterday?" the smirk returned on the rogue's face. "When was the last time you saw him for that matter? If you ask me, operation 'state bank' was a great success"

Videl's eyes widened in realization: the bank robbery was not intended to actually rob the bank, it was a decoy to get to Saiyaman. The explosion, the mayor being held hostage, her difficult battle against the semi-finalist, they were all happening to draw him into action. And the guy guarding the entrance didn't want to use his strange gun on her because its contents were solely for use on Saiyaman. And after they managed to hit him with those darts, the criminals didn't even resist their beating because they had already succeeded in their operation. Saiyaman's disappearance has something to do with those darts!

"I see you finally get my point," the rogue said, his smirk intensifying.

Videl snapped.

With tears in the corner of her eyes she lashed out. At first it was meant to silence him and wipe that stupid smirk off his face. But she didn't stop there. She let out all her rage, anger, sadness and disbelief on him. The rogue's body slackened, but she continued to beat him, not caring whether this would result in his death.