Riddles

Chapter 9: Riddles

"You wanna play or not?" the crook repeated himself.

Videl wasn't in the mood to play his little game, but since the chief had warned her he wasn't going to speak, she didn't want to lose this opportunity now that he was. So she decided to play along. "Only if you promise me I'll get the answers in the end. I don't like wasting my time on nothing,"

"That's a promise," the man reassured her, repositioning his glasses on his nose. "And since I like poetry, I'll give ya your answers disguised in four different haikus. So let's start easy," he said and followed:

...

" One consist of three

Each produced for survival

A liquid to kill "

...

"That's it?" Videl was a bit taken aback by the easiness of his riddle. "So the content of the darts is made up of three elements, each element is produced to benefit one's survival, though it is toxic to others." Videl thought for a moment before continuing: "And since you are a herpetologist, I suspect it has to do with toxins produced by a reptile or amphibian."

"You ain't letting me down, Miss Satan," a grin appeared on his face. "Let's take it up a nod-"

They were interrupted by the chief, who came through the door. "Videl, your time is up. Mr. Erpeto has to go to the dining room, they're about to serve dinner."

"But I..." Videl tried, but was immediately interrupted by the chief.

"You had your fifteen minutes. And unlike you, I don't have time to play games."

"Well, you heard the boss," the crook said reluctantly, "our little game is over."

Videl looked desperately from the criminal in front of her, to the chief, and back again. "Are you serious? The man is about to speak for the first time since he's been here, and you shut him up?"

"Chief, with all due respect, can I at least write the riddles down for her? This way she is happy and won't bother you again," the thug said smoothly, and to Videl's surprise the chief gave permission. And so it happened that five minutes later Videl was standing outside with three pieces of paper in her hand, each with their own Haiku written on it:

...

intoxicating

The Bufo's milky-white treat

A trip for relief

...

Product used to hunt

Colombia's dreadful gold

Intolerant nerves

...

Unbound by Ryūjin

China's small-scute tycoon

One devouring kiss

...

She stared at the scraps of paper as a heavy rumbling sound distracted her. She hadn't eaten since this morning and her stomach was clearly in protest. She looked at her watch, it was almost seven o'clock. Maybe she could make a pit stop at Erasa's place, since she lived not far from here. She took her phone out of her pocket and called her blond friend.